Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Final decision needs to be made

Author Topic: Final decision needs to be made  (Read 1864 times)

blackfriar

• View Profile
Final decision needs to be made
« on: August 03, 2016, 06:56:49 PM »
As a department of 1 with no support whatsoever please will people help me to decide between AQA and EDEXCEL A for my new GCSE please? Even if you give me some idea about the thought process that you have been through before deciding either way. Thanks in advance.

GB geographer

• View Profile
Re: Final decision needs to be made
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2016, 12:00:27 PM »
We looked at the assessment and whether it was the right match for our students... the content we can deal with and teach appropriately, the assessment we can't influence to the same degree...
We're going for OCR B because of the textbook link
Head of Geography at King's Ely (Junior) & freelance geographer - CGeog - OS GetOutside Champion 2018/19

mccraea

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2016, 02:02:21 PM »
We have gone for AQA as there is the Natural Hazards unit, which the pupils enjoy and also we have found good support from AQA in the current series.

Rob Chambers

• Established Member
  • Head of Geography
    • View Profile
    • Geobytes - Online Portal
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 05:07:16 PM »
Yes I agree - Natural Hazards was a big pull for us. If you are a single person department I would look for where there are plenty of resources and support available. Do you have local schools in your area that you could team up with / link with?

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2016, 04:24:22 PM »
Map the new specs to your current one and see which has the most overlaps. As a one person department this will reduce planning and increase tweaking of existing content. Easier to deal with! Unless you hated your existing specs content!
We went with AQA because we liked the content and it suited our girls to have a pre-release and skills paper. We've historically done well on those.
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

davegnu8

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2016, 02:34:02 PM »
AQA as it has a brilliant an engaging Natural Hazards aspect to it
Lots of accessible material to accompany too

anything