Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Field Studies Centres

Author Topic: Field Studies Centres  (Read 1318 times)

GeogFun

• Established Member
    • View Profile
Field Studies Centres
« on: July 01, 2016, 01:35:55 PM »
I am looking to use a Fieldstrudies centre for the A level fieldwork next year. I have been offered two potential locations for the times we can go :
MARGAM PARK DISCOVERY CENTRE, Port Talbot,
NETTLECOMBE COURT Field Centre, Taunton, Somerset

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with using them and could give me some advice over which one to choose?

thanks

swhitch

• View Profile
Re: Field Studies Centres
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 08:23:57 PM »
We have run Y10 trips to Nettlecombe for the past 15 years or so. Good location, good field centre and staff. Are due to be undergoing a revamp so when you go may be when this has been done. Food has generally been very good and tutoring good too.

As we were taking the Y10 Biology and Geography students together this year we changed to Margam. A modern and lovely centre. Excellent food when we were there. Good classrooms and tutoring. Accommodation more modern, four to a room and all en suite where as Nettlecombe was (but may have changed this year) rooms of upto double figures.

At Margam with Y10 we lloked at a River Study - Ogmore - looking at features and pollution, microclimate in Margam Park, a very good sand dune study just west of Swansea and coastal management at Portwcawl.

Would recommend either.
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

gee

• View Profile
Re: Field Studies Centres
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 10:28:09 AM »
Margam is actually a nice place to stay - the rooms are new and modern, the beds are comfortable and the food is amazing.

It's much, much nicer than the usual old/damp/uncomfy FSC affair.