Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
AS Glaciation Fieldwork

Author Topic: AS Glaciation Fieldwork  (Read 1324 times)

rob6117

• View Profile
AS Glaciation Fieldwork
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:30:59 AM »
Anyone out there with ideas/resources for glacial fieldwork in North Wales they'd be willing to share? I'm planning for the new WJEC AS and, having never done it before, am struggling to find specific resources on glaciation fieldwork. I have plenty of ideas and know Llyn Ogwen and environs very well but am finding it hard to get past the 'go and have a look at landforms' ideas at the moment. A lot of internet research comes back to the FSC - I'm not overly keen due to the cost of using them; we can't charge the kids to go there and there's no money in Mid Wales schools to cover costs like that. The two books I have (Fieldwork A to Z and Fieldwork through Enquiry, both purchased from the GA in recent years) don't have glacial fieldwork in them - I'm not sure if that says something or not. I've always done fieldwork in-house before and have a lot of rivers/microclimates/urban studies/rural change resources (albeit with a Mid Wales & the Borders flavour) that I'm happy to share in return.

swhitch

• View Profile
Re: AS Glaciation Fieldwork
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2016, 03:40:10 PM »
Just thinking about the mid-Wales bit ....... if you are stuck for cash on visits why not use around mid-Wales rather than going to N Wales? Where are you based and what sort of features are you considering? Could you look at Glaciation and Rivers/Peat Bogs at the same time?

You could look at Ponterwyd where there is the Rheidol Gorge and very impressive incised meander. The gorge at Ponterwyd is fault and fold axis controlled so look at the role of Geology in the formation of landforms, being cut (I believe) by glacial meltwater. If you can still get to the area just south of the bridge at Ponterwyd I am pretty sure there is a blocked former channel and then you have the impressive gorge around Parson's Bridge and Devil's Bridge.

Maybe also look at the geological control of the scree slopes in that area, plenty of freeze thaw activity, maybe measure angle of repose of the head deposits and the size, shape and orientation of the clasts - leading into the stats required by the spec / rose diagrams etc. etc.? Are you familiar with the periglacial features such as the ice wedge casts and convolute bedding in the area?

What is there that you can look at in relation to tills and till fabric, maybe upstream along the Rheidol at Ponterwyd?

Up at Plynlimon  - just upstream from Cwmystwyth you have peat bogs, any chance of augering the sub-strate to see if it is boulder clay? Any outcrops of boulder clay easily accessible along the Ystwyth or the Rheidol/ What of the coastal landforms deposits etc just south of Aberystwyth, Morfa Buchan?

Just some thoughts, if any seems useful drop me a message and I will look up my degree thesis on the Geology and Geomorphology of Ponterwyd and and other (slightly ageing texts I have).

Stuart
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

rob6117

• View Profile
Re: AS Glaciation Fieldwork
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 08:16:11 PM »
Based in the megalopolis of Welshpool, I've used that part Mid Wales a lot for A Level fieldwork in the past but always rivers, ecosystems and rural change - I'd never thought of it from that point of view. I know Ponterwyd and environs very well - I'd be interested to look at anything there, certainly. I'm currently looking with a colleague from another school in Powys at going to Llyn Ogwen and Cwm Idwal but something closer to home - in an area where we already do a residential trip - would definitely be of interest.

anything