Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Castleton fieldwork day

Author Topic: Castleton fieldwork day  (Read 2420 times)

fiona f

• View Profile
Castleton fieldwork day
« on: May 22, 2016, 04:05:22 PM »
I have ended up running a fieldwork day to Castleton for Year 7. We are booked into Treak CLiff Cavern and I intend to take them on a bit of a walk. Does anyone have any relevant worksheets that I could use please? It would be good to do some geology and limestone features. Thanks in anticipation.

swhitch

• View Profile
Re: Castleton fieldwork day
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 06:46:07 PM »
Hi

How many are you taking. There is a lot of geology but not a lot that is of much use to Y7 I suspect. If you are walking you could go along the old closed road across the land slide. Close to Treak Cliff and at the foot of Winnats Pass there are some good crinoidal limestones BUT not really for a large group. Mam Tor is turbidites but not too safe for a large group and not really useful for Y7. Best for me would be to look at the Mam Tor Landslide.
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

fiona f

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2016, 09:13:07 AM »
Hi Stuart
53. Thanks for the adivce.

swhitch

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 03:42:01 PM »
Wow.

Would struggle to find sites suitable for upto 53 Y7 students. Is the Hope Cement Factory a possible visit?

If you need stuff on the landslide drop me a message - BUT ..... it is mostly for small groups of Y12/13 Geologists.
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

mccraea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2016, 06:09:36 PM »
We use the Peak District National Park Learning and Discovery Team who plan the day for you and do all the risk assessments and provide the equipment. We did a River study with our Year 8's and this worked well. We are planning to take our Year 10's to Castleton and carry out the Limestone features and Mineral extraction day - see link. http://www.peakdistrict.gov.uk/learning-about/education/edvisits-secondary
Hope this is useful. Andy

podders

• @mattpodbury
    • View Profile
    • Online Geography Resources
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 07:05:09 AM »
We used to do a Humanities trip with Year 7 to Castleton (330 over two trips!!).

In terms of Geography, we used to take the students up to the landslide on Mam Tor, talk about the history & physical processes leading to the event including reference to:

?   Mam Tor beds (layers of rock)
?   Iron Age fort 3000 years ago
?   Plants growing show that the slope is becoming more stable
?   Slipping caused the road to move and crack up
?   Edale Shales under the Mam Tor beds

Then get a prominent position looking back down the valley, creating a field sketch outlining land use, vegetation change with height (often done in gale force winds & driving rain!). Labels included:

?   steeper slopes
?   mainly sheep
?   thin soils and rough grazing
?   no field boundaries
?   trees to shelter farm house
?   gentler slopes
?   cattle and crops
?   better soils
?   flatter land for machinery
?   small fields

Reference made to the cement works, screening of the process etc. Trick question of why the cements works was given permission to be created in a National Park.  Discussion of points including...
?   gives people jobs
?   heavy lorries cause noise and pollution
?   shops in Hope do good business
?   building is an eyesore
?   trees have been planted in front of it
?   blasting in the quarry frightens wildlife

Then on to Winnats Pass for the limestone landscapes work. Sketching of key features and discussion of lack of river etc...
?   steep valley sides
?   limestone outcrop
?   no river
?   narrow valley bottom
?   gets steeper
?   no trees - why?

I remember that the SEN group used to go down a cave too as an additional activity, I can't remember which one! - although there was some rope making demonstration in the entrance way.

Itinerary for one group looked like this:

7EH HU3 JAH & AH - 2007
10.00 – MAM TOR
10.50 – COACH TO WINNATS
11.30 – COACH TO VILLAGE
11.40 – LUNCH IN VILLAGE
12.15 – CHURCH – INSIDE 1ST (RE)
13.00 – CASTLE (History)
13.55 – PICK UP IN VILLAGE
14.45 – ARRIVE BACK IN SCHOOL

It was a busy day, but very accessible from our school in southern Sheffield. The biggest nightmare was the coach itinerary for pick up and drop off x coaches per day.

Matt
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 07:16:19 AM by podders »
Geographer

Evlinda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 12:47:42 PM »
We used to take our yr 10 up to do fieldwork. Not limestone stuff but we did rivers fieldwork- there is a river just on the outskirts of Castleton- about a 7-8 min walk from the centre. We did half the group fieldwork in the town while the other half do rivers and then swap over. You could possibly do this with your yr 7s in some way?
Head of Geography
2nd in charge of Humanities faculty

fiona f

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 09:24:23 AM »
Thanks everyone.