Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Can I charge pupils for the purposes of collecting data for GCSE Geography cswk?

Author Topic: Can I charge pupils for the purposes of collecting data for GCSE Geography cswk?  (Read 1856 times)

MidAtlantic8

• View Profile
Should I charge for the purposes of using the school minibus for pupils collecting data for their coursework project for GCSE Geography? I have never done so before(20+years of teaching in four schools) and I have now been told to pass the cost onto pupils.

Is this justified? I would welcome thoughts.

edge

• View Profile
Our school asks us to contribute to the cost of fuel for the minibus. We use the estimate on Google Maps.  However, we have a large GCSE cohort so use coach more often and the cost is passed onto the students.  Check with your bursar. We have a flat rate for teaching staff out on trips which is a contribution to the cover costs, we also have to now include an admin fee to cover the coasts associated with ParentPay and bank charges for using cards. Make friends with the bursar!
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

swhitch

• View Profile
Ditto Edge !
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

David Rogers

• View Profile
    • Blog
Our policy is to ask for a contribution and we need around 90% to run. We use PP funding to cover those who can't pay and have a local authority fund for those is hardship.

@davidErogers
Assistant Headteacher and pedagogic trouble maker.

htdavies

• Established Member
    • View Profile
We have been told that we can not charge pupils when we use the school minibus (for A level fieldwork) because our insurance does not cover us to do that.  The school covers the running cost of the minibus.  For GCSE fieldwork our school also pays the cost of the coach because we tell all pupils that they must attend the fieldwork so as it is a compulsory part of the course we do not ask pupils to pay.  (We are not in a wealthy area and we are not a wealthy school!)

anything