Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Sharing ideas and resources: AQA A Geography GCSE Ning

Author Topic: Sharing ideas and resources: AQA A Geography GCSE Ning  (Read 7237 times)

Andrew Boardman

• View Profile
Sharing ideas and resources: AQA A Geography GCSE Ning
« on: May 14, 2016, 10:09:27 AM »
Hi,
Does anyone know who moderates the AQA GCSE Ning? I have requested membership a while ago and it hasn't yet been approved. On a similar theme, and without wanting to undermine the excellent sharing that goes on here, I would be interested in hearing how people are sharing resources and ideas for the new A Level and GCSE specs. In the past I have always found that designated groups aimed at a particular board and spec work best, but not sure what is going on and think it would be a good idea to try to gather a list of groups in one place for everyone.  Alan Parkinson and Tony Cassidy have come up with this idea http://sharegeography.co.uk/ looks great (but again, not aimed at one board, though they do have folders for each board) Also #geogshare on twitter. I use Twitter for much of my CPD and in my other whole school T&L role. An ex-colleague is part of a very active group on Facebook aimed at teachers teaching the IBDP, and c.barton this up: https://www.facebook.com/groups/264994107180927/
What else do people use? I am especially interested in the new AQA GCSE and OCR A LEVEL.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 10:27:33 AM by Andrew Boardman »

Judith R

• View Profile
Re: Sharing ideas and resources: AQA A Geography GCSE Ning
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2016, 12:46:25 PM »
Hi Andrew

The AQA Ning is closing after the exams. The person who runs it has subsidised it to quite a large extent this year. I am registered but rarely use it as we're changing GCSE specs to Eduqas A.

We will also be doing OCR A level. Unfortunately I can't use Dropbox on my laptop as IT services won't allow it, so can't contribute or benefit. Not sure what is the best alternative.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:48:16 PM by Judith R »
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts

Andrew Boardman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2016, 01:47:51 PM »
Dear Judith,

thanks - that explains it. Maybe we should set up a Facebook group for OCR A level - I will wait and see what the responses are to this post. Plus I am on a course in a few weeks, so will canvas opinions then as well

c.barton

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2016, 12:22:44 PM »
Hi Andrew

The AQA Ning is closing after the exams. The person who runs it has subsidised it to quite a large extent this year. I am registered but rarely use it as we're changing GCSE specs to Eduqas A.

We will also be doing OCR A level. Unfortunately I can't use Dropbox on my laptop as IT services won't allow it, so can't contribute or benefit. Not sure what is the best alternative.

Dropbox doesn't work at my school either but google drive does. If you have a gmail account (very easy to setup if you don't) you can upload things onto google drive very easily and share the folder on line without other people needing a login etc.

Also if you pm me the passwords for the dropbox or dropittome then i can upload some KS3 or 4 stuff for you.

geog2312

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 06:06:34 PM »
Hello,

I would be interested in joining and sharing resources on both an AQA GCSE ning or equivalent & OCR A-level.

I went on an INSET yesterday for OCR and there seemed interest in sharing resources although through these I don't know/think that OCR will be setting one up formally however from what was said unlike other exam boards who will fund it.

Any ideas how we do this for both?

Andrew Boardman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 09:27:42 PM »
I am keen to share and am on a course after half term; I will see what the thoughts are there and then get back to you

SEV

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 07:53:50 PM »
I am also keen to share, also doing GCSE AQA and OCR A level but can't get on the OCR courses as there are waiting lists.  have contacted them so am waiting to hear back. 

Sarah

geog2312

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 10:43:29 AM »
I am keen to share as I too am doing OCR A level and AQA GCSE. Went to AQA Inset before half term and there seemed no response from AQA about setting up a resource sharing site unfortunately. What is the easiest way to do it?

jennyruddick

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 10:49:28 AM »
I am doing AQA GCSE and Equadas Alevel. Certainly interested in sharing as all change for us.

Kim

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2016, 03:02:19 PM »
I would be happy to share. AQA gcse  :)

geog2312

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2016, 10:06:07 PM »
Could we set up a Dropbox account to share?

Rob Chambers

• Established Member
  • Head of Geography
    • View Profile
    • Geobytes - Online Portal
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 07:52:27 PM »
We are doing AQA GCSE and OCR A'level as well. As soon as the next two weeks of exams are out of the way will be focused on planning and putting stuff together. I am hoping to put some links together on the Teaching Geography section of our website www.geobytes.org.uk
« Last Edit: June 08, 2016, 07:54:00 PM by Rob Chambers »

Andrew Boardman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 08:45:04 PM »
Hi, I have started up a Facebook page for OCR A/AS Level Geography today on the back of INSET I attended. I spoke to an OCR representative and she mentioned that Shelley is looking at getting funding for a NING. This sounds great, though I would prefer to have an alternative that isn't connected with the board. I hope this isn't duplicating something that is already in place, but I would really value a hub where people teaching the new OCR AS/A Level can exchange ideas, share resources, ask questions and collaborate. I know that 'Nings' have worked for this type of collaboration with other boards in the past, and recognise that Facebook isn't as flexible in terms of threads posting etc, but I am happy to be flexible going forward in terms of a platform. My overarching view is the more teachers who are teaching this spec we have looking, commenting and sharing in one place the better. I will be using Google Drive to share resources, but in many ways I am more interested in sharing ideas, concerns etc. No rules about how much you share. Sorry if you don't have FB.
Search OCR Geography on Facebook.

geog2312

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 10:38:29 PM »
Hi Rob,
This is really useful and I have tried searching for the page but it does not come up under OCR Geography as a search, despite me trawling through it. I am probably being technophobic- how do I find it?
Thanks

Andrew Boardman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »
Hi what is your name on FB and I will invite you....

anything