Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Years 4-6

Author Topic: Years 4-6  (Read 1158 times)

Andrew Boardman

• View Profile
Years 4-6
« on: August 12, 2009, 07:45:36 PM »
Does anyone have any experience of designing a geography curriculum for primary schools? In particular Years 4-6?  If so what have you included?
Also do any SLNers teach towards the common entrance exam in Geography? I am very interested in making contacts and sharing ideas and resources with you if you do.

Pumpkin67

• View Profile
Re: Years 4-6
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 08:20:34 PM »
Not exactly what you asked for but...

At my middle school, Y5 Geography is:-
- A unit based on the school nvironment and local environment
- St Lucia
- Rivers

Y6
- Mountains
- Settlement
- A mini unit based on the local bypass
- Chocolate

Sue W

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 09:00:05 PM »
Likewise, in our middle school our KS2 curriculum is:

Year 5, 1 lesson per week   
Autumn Term:  Our Local Area - basic skills based on school grounds, i.e. where would be the best location for ??? and local area traffic issues - debate based on fieldwork (traffic counts and parent surveys)
Spring Term:  Bury St Edmunds - same or different? - UK place knowledge, development of settlements, fieldwork in Bury looking at site and changes in shopping - cattle market closure to arc centre opening
Summer Term:  Should I visit St Lucia? - world place knowledge, focus on tourism, particularly types of tourism (Answer - yes! Just spent 2 weeks there so now have much more informed personal opinion on this but will be teaching it for last time this year as school is closing and we'll lose our year 5s next July!!)

Year 6, 2 lessons per week
Autumn Term: Does Pontins have a future? - coastal description and processes, fieldwork to local beach/cliffs, mapwork looking at Pontins Pakefield site, assessed recommendations for future (assured as Pontins plan to expand the site but the cliffs continue to erode!)
Spring Term: Exploring Brazil - a country study, inc. Judith R's work on street children and rainforest issues
Summer Term: Asian tsunami 2004 and Chocolate unit, though want to replace the tsunami unit.

Would like to look at Mountains as so many of our pupils have never seen a mountain; have studied our local river in past but the practicalities of taking 120 10-11 year olds to any safely accessible section of it other than the source and mouth meant that we dropped this; have also looked at Europe in years gone by, linked with a day field trip to Montreuil sur Mer in Northern France.  They get the most out of units which include fieldwork, remembering the skills, knowledge and issues better (they'll just have to put up with my fieldwork for St Lucia and no plans to visit Brazil at present.)

Hope this helps.  Can share schemes of work if you wish.

Richard H

• View Profile
    • GeoActive
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 09:49:15 AM »
Yes I do Andrew. E-mail me. Happy to share.

anything