Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
New A level fieldwork

Author Topic: New A level fieldwork  (Read 4804 times)

gee

• View Profile
New A level fieldwork
« on: April 11, 2016, 08:19:36 PM »
All

We are struggling to get anything helpful from the exam boards about exemplar fieldwork for the new A levels.  A part of me thinks they haven't got a clue and are waiting to see what schools come up with in year 1.

So what's everyone giving as a steer for AS and A2 fieldwork?  We are off to the Alps in November and are trying to come up with some potential options.  Previously we had a rivers day, a tourism half day and 3 other glacial themed days.

GB

Graham

• View Profile
Re: New A level fieldwork
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 08:59:53 PM »

The requirement is a minimum of two days for AS Level and four days for A Level. The Awarding Bodies will need to comply with this- when all the specifications are approved.   

We are looking at two days of differing local fieldwork at As Level to support the chosen curriculum topics- e.g., coasts, urban, rivers- haven't fully decided yet.
Am currently looking at 4 day residential for Year 13 (A Level) and will be developing the Individual Project aspect in 2017-2018- I am old enough to have taught this before!Most of our students will be A Level as the Sixth Form are opting for three A Levels.

There will be resources being developed on the GA, RGS and RSC websites.
We are also looking at two contrasting types of fieldwork for the GCSE too during this half term so that we are ready for a September start.   
Senior Assistant Headteacher.
Line Manager-Newman Sixth Form College
Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Hove
C.Geog
GASQM 'Centre of Excellence'

ads

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 07:32:52 PM »
2 days in Year 12 and 2 days in Year 13, totalling 4 days of fieldwork.  Not decided exact locations but all will be done in Year 12 and will teach data collection techniques for students to use in their independent investigation.  Students will collect their data over the summer holiday at the end of Year 12.
Head of Geography

Graham

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 07:40:53 AM »
Senior Assistant Headteacher.
Line Manager-Newman Sixth Form College
Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Hove
C.Geog
GASQM 'Centre of Excellence'

CHardman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2016, 07:38:21 PM »
How are you funding this? We have always done our fieldwork in house so we only charge for diesel money (and dog biscuits for river velocity  ;D) but the costs for a field study centre for a few days are coming in at £300+ - we can't tell students that they HAVE to pay this or they can't do the subject! I am concerned it will affect numbers opting for geography at A level....

Do we do separate days fieldwork or do the students do their own investigation entirely?

ads

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016, 08:31:18 PM »
It would be really useful if we use this thread to share fieldwork ideas for A level and GCSE.  Our outline plans are:

GCSE
Year 10 after summer exam - rivers fieldwork and write up - River Tame, Saddleworth
Year 11 mid to late Sept - urban regeneration and write up - Oldham

A level - all trips will be in Year 12
mid to late Sept - urban regeneration Manchester (Etihad, Ancoats, Salford Quays), overnight stay in Liverpool with tour of docks, Wirral coastal defences, Ainsdale beach sand dune survey
late June after exam 2 separate field days - 1st day = pollution of river Medlock / discharge relating to drainage basin characteristics.  2nd day = rural regeneration in Saddleworth
Head of Geography

CHardman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 04:41:54 PM »
ads - have you done a tour of the Etihad with the optional presentation on urban regeneration? I was wondering what it would be like. We are north Cheshire based so a trip to 'town' would be ideal, we just haven't ever done anything like it... we've always done rivers here.

ads

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 07:39:43 PM »
Hiya,  I must confess I didn't know they did a presentation on urban regeneration and am going to look into it.  A tour of the stadium would be interesting as long as it's not too expensive.  I'll let you know.
Head of Geography

Geogphotos

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 02:48:59 PM »
Investigations of coastal landforms tend to be more descriptive than investigations of coastal processes. Here are some possibilities:

Is there a link between cliff gradient and the presence of a beach?
Is there a relationship between geology and coastal landforms?
An investigation into the coastal processes and landforms which are present along a coastline.

Back to the 1970s. Who really cares about these questions, or who can't answer them by looking?

Stephen A.Schwab

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2016, 06:14:05 PM »
I am local to you so if I can help get in touch. I have experience of doing urban renewal in the NW, not Manchester that may be interesting. Let me know by message.
Consultant to the GA.
GA SPC Co-Chair.
National Schools Partnership Consultant.
Teaching and Learning Consultant.

gee

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 08:52:26 PM »
I think the issue is how "original" their fieldwork questions are expected to be.  If you take them somewhere and give them a list of titles to choose from this is no longer allowed, or so OCR and AQA have told us...

Re funding - independent school so we bill the students.

Re total days - 2 at AS and 4 for A2 (ie 2 extra) so we will just take them away for 4 days at AS to cover A2 at the same time.  They will do one study for AS which is all the same then an A2 one by themselves - not quite sure how to come up with any sort of useful / interesting titles though.  This is where the boards need to publish guidance as to what a class of 20 could offer from the same location and how different they are expected to be.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 08:55:04 PM by gee »

gee

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 08:56:37 PM »
Ads - would be interested in what you measure on your discharge day and how you link to db characteristics.  How can you draw conclusions from one day of measuring?

actgeog

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2016, 11:37:09 AM »
Hi
Pre course material for AQA preparing to teach contains some examples of fieldwork hypotheses
I think we will do an overnight to swanage and do sand dune succession aimed at the AS exam and also look at Coastal management and landforms while we are there
Will have to do something relating to changing places as a day out close to home
Then use 2 days after summer half term, when AS exams done for their own data collection for their independent study
All thoughts at present !

anything