Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Year 7 exam

Author Topic: Year 7 exam  (Read 2775 times)

geojo

• View Profile
Year 7 exam
« on: April 08, 2009, 07:48:36 PM »
Hi
Does anyone do a levelled end of year exam (for year 7)? I really need to change the old style exam and was wondering what others did? Jo

Judith R

• View Profile
Re: Year 7 exam
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2009, 09:08:17 PM »
We don't do an exam. Each year group has a couple of extended enquiries which we use as assessment tasks, for example year 7 is based on fieldwork and year 8 have a research task and a decision-making exercise. I find that sort of task much easier to design to ensure that it can be levelled. Of course we also use many other pieces during the year as well.
We're in the process of revising them to take into account the new KS3 requirements and I will definitely be using the new GA publication by Eleanor Rawling to help. The planning book was so useful I'm sure it will be excellent.
As well as the levelling issue our other intention was to prepare pupils for the sort of extended task they might do for coursework. Of course all that is changing, but I think the enquiry and time management skills will still apply to controlled tasks.
Not what you were asking for but I hope it helps. I could e-mail you some of our task sheets, but bear in mind they're all going to be updated in the next few weeks.
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2009, 10:25:49 PM »
Which parts of the LD would you want an exam to try to measure?

I don't know that I'd want to be using *just* an exam to measure anything very much in year 7.
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 07:15:32 AM »
We do a 1 hour end of year exam with all KS3 classes.  We use a regular levelled assessment for the end of whichever topic they have just done, its therefore just another assessment, we give out the levelled criteria beforehand, like we'd give out a revision sheet so the kids can prepare themeselves like they do fo our regular assessments.  In this way its much like the new controlled assessments.  This satisfies school as we can give an exam level, but helps us give a teacher assessed level too as it provides us with more evidence of the student's achievements.  Not ideal but works.
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

geojo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 02:46:53 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I think I will do a unit assessment (as we do through the year) but in an exam style. Will be for our 'my space' unit or sport. Obviousy anyone can have a copy once it is done! Jo  :)

aberrantbee

• ollismark
    • View Profile
    • AQA A Ning
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 11:38:23 PM »
In the 90 minute exam slot for yr 8 at Christmas I ran two 30 minute tests in the computer room.  One was based on the comparison of two farm [organic/mixed or arable pastoral] in freemind.  The other was answers into boxes using an invisible writing frame again another comparison but this time changes from the 1950sto present day.  It wasn't levellled but well-received and yr 8 want to do there next exams in the computer room.  I am trialling yr 7 exams this summer probably creating thinking maps using powerpoint [I provide the framework, they fill in the boxes] and hopefully a visual tsunami stimulus - maybe video with stop and reply slots.
Head of Geography
Teacher of Outdoor Ed
Father, Outdoorsman, Fettler
Twitter=ollismark

anything