Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
residential fieldtrip - evening activities?

Author Topic: residential fieldtrip - evening activities?  (Read 1737 times)

GeogFun

• Established Member
    • View Profile
residential fieldtrip - evening activities?
« on: February 01, 2016, 08:28:50 AM »
hello

I am leading my first foreign fieldtrip to Italy this half term. I am planning on running a quiz night on one of the evenings, but i have two other evenings in which to fill. Does anyone have any suggestions of ideas that they have used in the past?

thanks

Gayle

Mark

• View Profile
Re: residential fieldtrip - evening activities?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 09:44:03 AM »
Where in Italy are you going to?  Is there anything on in the evening they could go to in the area?
@MSTGeography

GeogFun

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2016, 10:03:37 AM »
hi  we are going to the Bay of Naples. However, we are staying in a little town Pianno di Sorrento which does not have anything nearby. We do have three every long days and do not get back to the hotel till late, but I would like to put on something for them everynight.

Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 10:47:13 AM »
I stayed just down the road from there the other summer, not on a trip though.  I guess if you want to to do something out and about getting in Sorrento isn't really an option though there is the train but that probably isn't practical.

I'd probably take some DVDs, Pompeii for example.  You could get them to do some sort of talent evening?  When I was on a trip to that area we did take the students just for a walk around and down to the marina/beach area where they just had some free time to wander round etc
@MSTGeography

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2016, 06:34:46 PM »
On our Iceland trips we run a photo scavenger hunt. Kids work in teams and use phones to take pictures of items on a list. Teachers at a central base and sign each thing that's caught on camera before the time limit. Usually 45 mins or so. Be creative with the list and have different points values e.g. Something blue, the Italian flag, a family of five, a cloud etc. As easy ones, then go all out for other random images - how many people an fit in..., the whole team of students jumping at the same time (all airborne for points) etc. Ours love it! A souvenir purchase that day makes a great prize e.g. Sorrento pencils or something equally cheap but meaningful. Works really well in a relatively small area too, we play it at a remote Icelandic farm in the middle of nowhere and it always goes down well.
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

pmlefc

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2016, 11:59:52 AM »
we stayed in Piano during October half term.  The days were long.  We stayed at hotel La Ripetta.  There was room to do evening activities, but would recommend that you do.  We did an Italy quiz one night, went into Sorrento on the train twice. 
Phil Lowry