Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
New A Level - Fieldwork Advice

Author Topic: New A Level - Fieldwork Advice  (Read 856 times)

edge

• View Profile
New A Level - Fieldwork Advice
« on: January 12, 2016, 06:55:20 PM »
As a school (and consortium of 3 schools) we are entering all students for the AS levels in Y12 and the A Level in Y13. This means I have to think carefully about fieldwork and its timing.  Is anyone else doing this - what have you decided upon? thought about?

My options as I see them:
1. Four day fieldwork trip in Y12 for all - to cover examined fieldwork and potential for individual investigations. Pros: wide range of topics can be covered = lots of potential data for Y13 investigations. Cons: cost (esp. if students then drop geog), length of time from fieldwork to write-up for Y13s.
2. 2 Day residential trip in Y12 for all, 2 days in summer term of Y12 (after AS exams) for individual investigations to be started over summer. Pros: Less time out in Y12, focus on each trip can be very clear towards either the exam or individual investigations. Cons: Students still have to pay for all trips and might still drop the subject!
3. Same as 2 but the 2 days in September after results. Pros: Only those who have continued with geog attend. Cons: Organising a trip for unknown numbers!  We miss the summer for write-up time.

Advice and other options I've not thought about welcome!
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

SandraWickens

• View Profile
Re: New A Level - Fieldwork Advice
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 09:05:29 PM »
We too have been considering our options and with 3 teachers and (fingers crossed) 80 year 12 students we cannot keep taking single
days out as it interrupts too many other classes, so a 4 day residential is our probable solution, and the write up in the summer term following AS exams for those who continue on. If we drop the AS exam after a year we will need to seriously reconsider. Still in discussion. We also have Geology (4 days) to consider the following year. Looks like our optional Overseas trip is gone too....