Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
New specifications - GCSE Geography AQA spec A

Author Topic: New specifications - GCSE Geography AQA spec A  (Read 3801 times)

scanrod

• View Profile
New specifications - GCSE Geography AQA spec A
« on: January 04, 2016, 09:30:34 PM »
Hello,

I am wondering, and sorry if I have missed any previous threads on this, if anyone would like to create a group to share planning, ideas, resources for the new GCSE Geography AQA specification A? Or does this maybe exist already and i just don't know about it?

I am getting a bit nervous about the lack of resources from AQA e.g. textbooks, scheme of work, timings per section etc and my school is pressing me to get planning e.g. create lessons, detailed SoW etc.  I know that in the past AQA have published a really detailed SoW for each unit with timings and ideas for starters, mains and plenaries.  I don't want to reinvent the wheel but I also do not want to be up the creek either.

Thanks in advance.

scanrod

• View Profile
Re: New specifications - GCSE Geography AQA spec A
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 09:45:16 PM »
Have just found this on the brilliant NING website for the current specification:
http://aqaageoggcsenew.ning.com/forum/topics/specification?id=2552160%3ATopic%3A49657&page=2#comments

However, now in a panic as even the proposed schedule even over 3 years is tight!!!

scanrod

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2016, 05:02:04 PM »
hello,

I received this reply from AQA today:

We are continuing to work with Ofqual regarding accreditation.  We have a new version of our draft specification on our website which you can view by following this link http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resources/geography/specifications/AQA-8035-SP-2016-DRAFT.PDF

We cannot currently confirm when accreditation will be, however we do not anticipate making any changes to the draft specification currently published on our website.

So you are also aware it is common for examination boards to be accredited at different times but it is possible for multiple specifications to be accredited at the same time.

We will of course keep you updated with any news / email communications as soon as we receive it.

For your information, please see below for minor changes made to the draft specification currently published on our website:

·        For GCSE Geography Paper 1, Section B and Section C have now been swapped around. So The Living World is now Section B and Physical Landscapes is now Section C.

·        For GCSE Geography Paper 3, the written examination has increased from
1 hour to 1 hour 15 mins.

·        Slight changes to content:  Global Circulation moved from Living World to Weather Hazards.

·        Additions: effects of climate change; effects of rock type on coastal forms; maximum extent of ice cover in the UK; Demographic transition model and development; rural geography of the UK.

·        Some deleted content e.g. Population policy

·        Reduced number of case studies (now 5) and examples (now 12)

·        More emphasis on theory: plate tectonics, atmospheric recirculation model, nutrient cycle, DTM, push-pull theory of migration.

Upon accreditation, we will be providing detailed resources, including:

·        Two complete sets of Specimen Answer and Mark Schemes (SAMS), comprising Papers 1, 2 and 3 and a third example for Paper 3

·        Fieldwork toolkit

·        Enhanced schemes of work for teaching over 2 years or 3 years.  These will break down the full specification content with suggested lesson plans, activities, case studies, exemplars, resources etc

·        Three ‘approved’ textbooks to be published Spring 2016 by Cambridge University Press, Hodder and Oxford University Press.

Additionally, we will be running ‘Prepare to teach’ courses around the country and online which you will be able to attend in the Spring term of 2016.  These events will be free of charge and the dates for these events will be available on our website once we have received accreditation from Ofqual.  Teachers that have signed up for our reform updates will receive notification of these events.

geog15

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 09:35:56 AM »
Hi

I also have concerns over the new spec. I spoke to AQA on Monday and the person I spoke to implied it could be months before it is accredited.

Has anyone looked at the Paper 3 sample paper? I am really concerned at how much students are expected to do in 1hr 15 mins. It seems much more than the Edexcel Paper.

briggsy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 06:54:59 PM »
Anyone heard anything more re: accreditation? I'm beginning to be a little concerned that I've made the wrong choice waiting for AQA!

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 07:24:28 PM »
In terms of resources, I fully intend to use SAMs and teacher resources from all the other boards in my teaching. As the content for all specs is now much more in line, there are plenty of diagrams, questions, activities, SOW etc. which should be interchangeable as lesson resources.

We are planning to start teaching a new GCSE unit to Year 9 from Easter time, largely this is to fit into everything in, but we've always done a water resources module anyway, so plan on beefing it up to cover the resource use bit of the spec.  Our kids all use simple cardboard folders - one per topic - so it's really easy for us to do this. We also attract a large cohort so have relatively little difficulty with those who 'switch off'. As we teach a whole half year group at a time we also have the flexibility to re-group them if needs be into GCSE groups and those not continuing.

I'm choosing to be excited by the changes, although am incredibly daunted by the workload!
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

alc3254

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2016, 02:53:33 PM »
Writing new specs is on my to do list...I have put it off for the moment due to (well a million other things) plus the lack of accreditation. However I am happy to share AQA GCSE resources once created and Edexcel AS resources (also once I have created them for September). Equally if anyone wants to divide up the course and we share out the workload...I am happy to do that.