Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Cross Curricular Projects

Author Topic: Cross Curricular Projects  (Read 1284 times)

Maddie87

• View Profile
Cross Curricular Projects
« on: October 13, 2015, 05:28:43 PM »
Good afternoon,

We have a teaching a learning week in school where we can be as "fun" and different as we like. I was thinking of doing a cross curricular project with RE and History as we have very few links. Does any one have any slightly different and new ideas? Creatively is not my strength unless I see an idea first!

Thanks

add

• Established Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cross Curricular Projects
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 08:04:44 PM »
Great opportunity!

I always think of cross curricular as trying encourage students to think across subject boundaries identifying and applying links, so my advice would be to create something that would promote this rather than 3 departments working together.

I would also try to get an audience for your project that students present their work to, other than their normal teacher this could be the local community or another year/class. You might also want a project that is real in terms of having significance in the real world, not work for works sake but something that could make a difference.

Some ideas:
http://www.hightechhigh.org/pbl/
http://bie.org/project_search

Geographer!
SQM CoE

swhitch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 11:57:33 PM »
Not sure how much "fun" that would be although you could do something about the cartography of battlefields with history.

Could you not link with the sciences to develop some bio-geography (biodiversity - using the OPAL surveys maybe), physics to do some atmosphere/weather research, biology and chemistry to look at water pollution etc.? All three sciences to do some geology !?

What year group(s) are you talking of?
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

lottee1000

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 08:52:15 AM »
We did something similar a few years ago on China: ties in well with history and RE and loads of good geography topics, so you can tie it into any year group. For two weeks all lessons in those subjects, and one full afternoon, were on China, and then followed up with project work.
Don't have the resources anymore but it worked well!

podders

• @mattpodbury
    • View Profile
    • Online Geography Resources
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 11:47:29 AM »
We do Otzi the Iceman in History & Geography here. Full details are here:

http://www.geographypods.com/ga-teach-meet-2015.html

Russel Tarr & I are doing a presentation about this project on Friday in a conference at our school. If you would like a copy of the PowerPoint with examples materials, email me at podbury_m@intst.net

Matt
Geographer

anything