Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Geography teaching hacks

Author Topic: Geography teaching hacks  (Read 1619 times)

fred

• Established Member
    • View Profile
Geography teaching hacks
« on: August 15, 2015, 08:57:47 PM »
The thing I love most about SLN is the collaboration. As we turn our attention to September please share your tips/ ideas for making your teaching life a little easier. Here are a few of mine to get the ball rolling.
1. Use a seating plan that shows class data for easy monitoring.
https://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/seating-plan-format-to-include-student-data-6340071
2. When doing group work use the noise down app, which sounds an alarm when the decibel level gets too high.
3. On PowerPoint use red for things that pupils need to write down (e.g definitions), yellow for things that pupils need to summarise/ write in their own words and green for things just to think about. This saves the 'Do we need to write this down?' questions.

edge

• View Profile
Re: Geography teaching hacks
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 10:08:05 PM »
I'm starting to add the auto-date function to my PowerPoints, so the date will always be on the board - I never know it so this is great for me!

When marking work, as a department we give it a 'learning profile' - this is a number from 1-4 which school ask us to send home twice a term. Since we started giving work learning profiles, the kids are far more aware of where their learning profiles come from.  This only applied to work which isn't graded in another way.

Another marking tip; when marking we leave students with a question to respond too.  I bracket lines to indicate how long the response should be. Simple but very effective.

Controlled assessment and fieldwork; we give our kids A4 plastic zip wallets so work stays dry when on the actual visit. For GCSE they have a brown A4 envelope for neat work so as its finished it goes straight in.  They like being able to see it build up.

Residential trips; price up the coach and driver staying with you, we've found it to be significantly cheaper than two return trips to drop off and pick up.

Conferences: collect as many free pens, pencils, rulers etc. as you can and have them available for students who haven't got them. Saves the hassle of them finding one from a friend.
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

lottee1000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 07:11:49 AM »
Some handy ideas!

1. A tip for students asking to go to the toilet: tell them to ask again in ten minutes. If they genuinely need to go, they will wait and ask, if they don't, they always forget because whatever they were trying to get away from has normally passed.

2. If stuck for homework ideas for KS3, postcards are great. Get a stack of blank cards printed up, and pupils have to draw a destination and write to you describing what they have seen/done/eaten/etc on their holiday. This can be tweaked in many ways: pick a place you've never been to, pick a place which you are currently learning about (can use this with gcse case studies as well), everyone has the same place to see who researches the most, etc.

3. Project a big countdown clock onto the board during tests. This saves them doing complicated 'right, the time is..., therefore I have... minutes left' calculations. I KNOW it's not complicated, but I also know students who have complained about this. 

fred

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 01:08:21 PM »
Thanks for sharing some great ideas. Keep them coming....
Use cable ties to keep desks together and save you having to straighten them up all the time.

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2015, 06:19:18 PM »
Once you've set Word, PowerPoint etc. up to the way you like it, set it as default so it always looks that way.  You can also save templates on PowerPoint so that you can have all of one scheme of work with the same design.

Once you've finally mastered Excel and made it create you a climate graph with two axes you can save the design as a new chart type so you can make future climate graphs in seconds - that was this afternoons task - I beat Excel!!
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee