Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Glaciers

Author Topic: Glaciers  (Read 3502 times)

kstoyle

• View Profile
Glaciers
« on: July 08, 2015, 09:27:25 AM »
Morning- I am currently out of my comfort zone and trying to put together a SOW on Glaciers having not taught or really covered it myself I am finding it a nightmare what to include, what is relevant matching it to the ability. Can any of you wonderful people out there point me to where there are some resources online/SOW?

Thank you for helping :-)

Kate Russell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Staffordshire Learning Net for Geography
Re: Glaciers
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 09:29:29 AM »
Which year group is this for?

kstoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:41:26 AM »
thank you for your reply.

Year 7 middle to high ability I would say

zcsaa44

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 10:04:35 AM »
I was going to ask about this a few weeks ago, not for me but for a friend. Serious, I am leaving and being a good person so helping re-write SOW ready for next year. Our focus is more Glaciated landscapes, I think it might lean towards the dull side of the Geography teaching so was looking for ways to liven it up.

Someone has once mentioned to me they built a glacier in lessons to show how they move, you could look into doing this although I am not sure how this works. Cornflour has been mentioned on a science forum I read, has anyone done something like this?

kstoyle

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 10:22:02 AM »
From my research on lesson so far- corn flower, water and a small rock/pebble placed in a  piece of gutter raised up via a stack of books will demonstrate glacier movement. :-)

zcsaa44

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 10:29:40 AM »
Ok, I imagined something more grand taking place over a longer period of time

steve brace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 02:09:46 PM »
Hi you should find our scheme of work on KS3 Glaciation useful. 

Other new units on Russia (including soils), natural resources & coasts (including African and Middle Eastern coasts) also available.   

All (and much more too) through this link:

www.rgs.org/OurWork/Schools/Teaching+resources/Key+Stage+3+resources/Key+Stage+3+resources.htm

best wishes

Steve

Steve Brace
Head of Education
RGS-IBG

Maddie87

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 03:31:38 PM »
I don't have a SOW but I have some powerpoint lessons and worksheets if you would like to send me your email I will send them over.

kevincooper777

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2015, 07:19:15 AM »
Glaciers dull??? I LOVE glaciers and everything glacial!! Still remember showing my (Middlesbrough) students a photo of a glacier with moraine strips and asking them what it was, to get the most popular reply "some sort of motorway". Depends on your clientele, obviously, but for many it is a chance to show them things beyond their 'everyday' - a real "awe and wonder" opportunity. And unless you are in London or Southern England, where you are was covered in 1km+ of ice as recently as 15,000 years ago (depending on where you are) - which, compared to dinosaur extinction 65Mya or age of Earth at 4,600Mya, is basically yesterday [another awe and wonder opportunity].

Judith R

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2015, 07:33:13 PM »
Put on a timeline with building of the pyramids etc and they'll realise just how recently this country was glaciated!
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts

Graham

• View Profile
Senior Assistant Headteacher.
Line Manager-Newman Sixth Form College
Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Hove
C.Geog
GASQM 'Centre of Excellence'

GB geographer

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2015, 05:06:39 PM »
Head of Geography at King's Ely (Junior) & freelance geographer - CGeog - OS GetOutside Champion 2018/19

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2015, 07:48:13 PM »
This is a great resource for introducing glaciers and the importance of ice http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1cys2c_earth-the-power-of-the-planet-3-of-5-ice_tv

anything