Author Topic: Short course GCSE  (Read 811 times)

kevincooper777

• Established Member
    • View Profile
Short course GCSE
« on: May 22, 2015, 08:29:16 PM »
Normally we offer an option block of short-course RE or an Outdoor Ed qualification - but this year several students have suggested they would like to do a short course Geography qualification instead. They range in ability - some for whom C at GCSE would be a massive achievement, some EAL students who struggle with the English but are intelligent and interested, and some who would be aiming for A/B at GCSE level. We are an independent school so league table points etc isn't a factor - I just want a course which is do-able in 2 x 55 mins per week over 2 years and is accessible and useful... Can anyone advise?? - it looks like OCR do a short-course GCSE, so that's favourite at the moment. There is also an ASDAN course, but that looks too simple. There is an 'Edexcel Certificate' which appears to be an international qualification (no problem with that), but at a glance it seems to have some complex 9-mark questions which would stretch most of them quite a lot...

Any advice / ideas gratefully received...

Graham

• View Profile
Re: Short course GCSE
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 10:28:26 AM »

I would try OCR Short Course- however, I think the last examination is 2017- so that would be for the cohort that you are referring to.
Is there no way they would get a full GCSE at Foundation Tier (Grade C) in the available time?
Senior Assistant Headteacher.
Line Manager-Newman Sixth Form College
Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Hove
C.Geog
GASQM 'Centre of Excellence'

kevincooper777

• Established Member
    • View Profile
Re: Short course GCSE
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 08:03:24 PM »
Thanks for replying Graham! - it's not happening now for various reasons, but if it comes up again I think as you say I would go for the full course.