Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Showing progress in GCSE

Author Topic: Showing progress in GCSE  (Read 2139 times)

SBW2009

• View Profile
Showing progress in GCSE
« on: March 02, 2015, 09:24:59 PM »
Hi all

Can anyone suggest how we can show long term progress in GCSE? Currently (school policy) we do a past paper at the end of each topic (we are doing edexcel A) and record that on their progress sheet. Some kids, for example "X" is struggling and achieves G's in each past paper, other for example "Y" achieves C's on each one. I was observed by HOF who said that their tracking sheets doesn't show any progress as each past paper scores a similar result. I'm hoping to go back with suggestions of what we can do to move it forward, especially with lower sets.

Any suggestions on how to show long term progress with groups especially those weak ones who take a long time to move up grades.

Many thanks

paulsturtivant

• Established Member
  • @paulsturtivant; paulsturtivant.wordpress.com
    • View Profile
Re: Showing progress in GCSE
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2015, 07:22:02 AM »
Break down the course into 10 key skills and track to show progress in each skill set.  This will help them to see what they are good at and need to improve.

Also, consider making up their data to show progress and focus your energy on teaching them well.
@paulsturtivant;

add

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 07:13:14 PM »
You could baseline.

Give them test, essay question or overarching question at the start (before learning about it) and give it back to them at the end.

Even better get them to edit it as they go along.

Geographer!
SQM CoE

SBW2009

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 10:59:17 PM »
Thanks both

Baseline is out - HOF hates them! I've done a quick sheet based on edexcel assessment criteria - hoping HOF agree to it now! Especially as HOF hasn't offered any solutions!!

swhitch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 11:13:22 AM »
I have developed a chart of each area of the spec with students rating their confidence (1 - Haven't got a clue to 5 I could teach this) in each aspect of the topics being covered when they start the course and when they have finsihed the course - this hopefully indicates that the students started knowing little and leave knowing lots. It is also a way of :
a) Linking all the case studies to the topics so that we don't have the "what case studies can we use?)
b) Has a section where students say how they are going to increase their confidence in topics that still score well at the end of the unit
c) Gives us an insight into what we can get through quickly as they have prior knowledge from science etc.
d) Gives us an insught into topic areas we need to revisit in revision or rejig for teaching the following year.
e) Puts a very big tick in a very big box for those who like to see boxes ticked ! ;D
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

briggsy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 12:11:41 PM »
Do you have a copy of your chart? I'd like to see how you've split it down. Just out of interest, what spec do you do?

tking2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 01:51:44 PM »
I'd also really love to see how you've done this - would you mind sharing please?

blondie

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 09:24:03 PM »
Hi, any chance of seeing your chart please?  It sounds like a great idea.... TIA