Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Edexcel A Geography

Author Topic: Edexcel A Geography  (Read 2026 times)

Maddie87

• View Profile
Edexcel A Geography
« on: February 08, 2015, 08:17:38 AM »
Good morning,

I have just started teaching the edexcel a spec and I am looking for another school just to talk over things like a* students good exam tecnique etc and swap resources (although mine are limited currently). I would appreciate any help!

Thank you in advanced

Kate Russell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Staffordshire Learning Net for Geography
Re: Edexcel A Geography
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2015, 08:24:13 AM »
Where are you teaching Maddie?

Maddie87

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 01:44:17 PM »
Population at the moment which is straight forward enough I have a low ability class so I looking for ways to push the to the c boundary

Kate Russell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Staffordshire Learning Net for Geography
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 05:37:09 PM »
Where are you teaching Maddie?

Maddie87

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 06:17:11 PM »
I am based in hampshire

add

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 08:56:31 PM »
Hi Maddie,
The first port of call maybe people in your department for advice as they will appreciate the context you find yourself in.

Not sure there is a perfect way to raise achievement at C/D and I would also suggest your approach varies depending on if they are being examined this summer or not.

If they have are not examined this year take time to increase levels of engagement as well as their geographical skills, you went them to having the skills and motivation to revise at the end of the course. 

If examined this year:

- get them familiar with the levelled mark scheme (4mks +) and appreciate the importance of examples and factual information to secure top marks, get students to learn a structure in developing these answers i.e. 6 mks = 3 developed points not six points
- command words
- make sure they know the SPAG questions and appreciate their importance (i.e. spelling places with a capital letter - Hampshire :)
- create some basic rules/processes for handling data response questions i.e. TAD (trends, anomalies and data)
- make sure they know what section to do (particular problem on human paper)
- do plenty of exam practice in small blocks so students can appreciate where they need to be at a certain time
- hand out as many past papers you can find and get students to highlight the words they do not understand, cover these in class (not just command words, but geography key words and qualifying words i.e. impacts, effects, processes, human, physical etc.
- practice past paper and mark these for exam errors as well as geography (use a code marking system to ease workload and peer/self-assessment)
- do the exam yourself, what questions do you think your students will struggle with?

Good luck,

Adam
Geographer!
SQM CoE

Rob Chambers

• Established Member
  • Head of Geography
    • View Profile
    • Geobytes - Online Portal
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
Maddie - with regards to revision resources - our blog already has our flashcards on, some self check glossary sheets and some podcasts - new things are being created and will be added when ready. Don't know if they are any help. www.geobytesgcse.wordpress.com

anything