Author Topic: IB Geography Exam  (Read 765 times)

atlasschmatlas

• View Profile
IB Geography Exam
« on: January 11, 2015, 07:41:33 AM »
In the IB exams is it necessary to draw a diagram or map to receive full marks for an essay.

I am new to teaching IB and noticed it is on the AO4 strand. Do I encourage students to draw them? To what detail is it expected? Is it a must?

Thanks

podders

• @mattpodbury
    • View Profile
    • Online Geography Resources
Re: IB Geography Exam
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 08:37:07 PM »
Have posted on the IB DP support Facebook group and will let you know if we get a response.

Matt
Geographer

kevincooper777

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 01:52:51 AM »
I'm a Team Leader on P3, and although diagrams are encouraged in the blurb, there certainly isn't a requirement - I'd say 10% max include a map or diagram, and 70% of them are fairly pointless and don't add anything to the essay (eg three 'globes' of decreasing size from left to right to show 'shrinking world' idea...). In the November exam I did see one two-part map showing changing economic flows from mainly 'core' to 'periphery' countries to more two-way and also more flows between emerging economies... 

podders

• @mattpodbury
    • View Profile
    • Online Geography Resources
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 07:01:24 AM »
Reply from Tom: I would say no, although I always encourage my students to use appropriate, well drawn maps and diagrams where necessary, but never just for the sake of it. From a Paper 3 examiner point of view i rarely see maps and diagrams used in the essays. The paper 3 mark band AO4 Skills level descriptors makes no mention of either. Any paper 1 or 2 examiners seen top marks awarded without the use of them?

Reply from Jen: Paper 2 lends itself more to the drawing of diagrams but even so it is rare to see a well drawn diagram that adds clarity or explanation to an answer. More often than not students try to use a diagram for the sake of it or draw something too basic or of limited relevance to add to the overall quality of an answer. Nevertheless diagrams are still nice to see and the top answers do often make use of excellent diagrams. I have awarded full marks for plenty of answers that have not included diagrams.
Geographer

anything