Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
New student

Author Topic: New student  (Read 1257 times)

Kim

• Established Member
    • View Profile
New student
« on: December 16, 2014, 10:08:29 AM »
I have just had a student join my year 11 class from Ireland. Help. Has anyone any suggestions of how best to help him? We do AQA A and obviously this student  hasn't. I am used to EAL students arriving throughout the year but have not been in this situation before. I have been given no background info regarding his ability etc. He actually seems brighter and more hardworking than my other students. If only I had had him from the start!!!!!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 11:21:29 AM by Kim »

edge

• View Profile
Re: New student
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 11:27:12 AM »
I'd sit down and go through what he has covered already and then compare it to other specs than yours to see if there is a better fit.  We have a student doing the AQA Level 1/2 certificate this year because it suits her circumstances better.  Often there is overlap between specs and content anyway.  AQA A is general enough, that his topics studied might just work with the constraints of the paper.  Last year we had a student join at the start of Y11, luckily having done our spec at her previous school but with a different combination of topics, we muddled through and it worked out fine! Good luck!
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

Kim

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 11:46:14 AM »
Thanks for replying. He's done no controlled assessment. I was wondering about IGCSE?

Graham

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 08:22:06 PM »
Try to find out what courses he was going to follow at his last school. I assume that if he has just joined your GCSE then he would have been aiming for Junior Certificate (Junior Certs) at Ordinary level or Honours Level. This is what he would have been aiming towards. The curriculum and the examinations are set nationally by the Department for Education and Skills.

Email if you need to know more- What school did he come from? I wouldn't worry too much. I would explain the transfer situation to AQA (Special Arrangements) via your Examinations Officer and see what support they can offer.   

http://jcgeography.preswex.ie/ordinary-level-paper.html
http://www.curriculumonline.ie/getmedia/3c3aec51-89c3-47ca-964c-4bcfa1f62853/JCSEC10_Geography_syllabus.pdf
http://www.education.ie/en/Schools-Colleges/Information/Curriculum-and-Syllabus/Junior-Cycle-/Syllabuses-Guidelines/?pageNumber=2
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 08:26:42 PM by Graham »
Senior Assistant Headteacher.
Line Manager-Newman Sixth Form College
Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Hove
C.Geog
GASQM 'Centre of Excellence'