Author Topic: workload  (Read 2973 times)

Andoca

• View Profile
Head of geog in a 9-13 middle school.
Assistant headteacher.
Mother, worrier, football fan, rainbow chaser.

swhitch

• View Profile
Re: workload
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 09:29:31 PM »
Sorry .... too busy  ;D
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

swhitch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 02:25:24 PM »
Looked through the survey and it seems to have a focus of asking teachers to identify, in a rather Govian "enemy of promise" way, which parts of their job are unnecessary.  ;)

An interesting slant as there is now little in our job that many would easily identify as unnecessary. It is the volume of the "necessary" that we need to be able to manage and therefore this may result, rather like some student questionnaires, in the findings being just what the questionner had set out to have confirmed and not the actual issues we all face.

However two things I would quite happily ditch - educational pseudo-research and the new craze for set work, mark it, redraft, remark, redraft, remark, etc. etc.  :P
« Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 10:32:58 PM by swhitch »
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

Kate Russell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Staffordshire Learning Net for Geography
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 08:05:07 PM »

gee

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 07:12:13 AM »
Totally agree - none of my job is not necessary.

I suggested teaching fewer lessons and hence less of everything would be a good step...

GB

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 10:17:41 AM »
Totally agree - none of my job is not necessary.

I suggested teaching fewer lessons and hence less of everything would be a good step...

GB
The only way I'm even near this job anymore is because I work 0.8 FTE. Without my day off a week I'd have been forced out of the job *at best*.

There has to be an acceptance that OK is fine - that good enough on a day to day basis means being satisfactory. And that creating files and files worth of "evidence" is an unacceptable use of time. Start with that and we can find things we no longer need to do - and meetings we no longer need to have (continual reviews of SEFs at departmental meetings is the current thing at my new school - really I'd rather be talking about children and teaching at those and leave the SEF to the people who get paid to write them - although they don't need to be written in so much detail on a termly basis as far as I can see.

Add to that a curriculum that doesn't change so much and it'd be a good start.

Then we can deal with the real problems caused by senior teachers setting up systems that work very well if you only teach 3 or 4 classes in one or two year groups (as they do...) but create massive amounts of work if you're a mainscale teacher. I've had it justified to me that it's "good for me" to have to work through each group I teach by hand counting the number of EAL, PP etc... kids in them - apparently it will help me "know the kids". Despite that fact that the proforma I then have to fill on only requires the number of children in each "sub-group" - not who they are. Took me less than two hours to nail a database where I choose a group and click a button and all the data appears at the printer - with the children identified properly...
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

swhitch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 08:11:43 PM »
BST - interesting to see comments - cannot agree more, currently seem to be too many with few or no classes who have too much spare time on their hands, time to find jobs for those who are already stretched to breaking. Worst example by far is the promotion of the multiple mark and remark then remark again, Austin's Butterfly ........ get real !!!!!
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 09:00:10 AM by swhitch »
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

Allan M

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 11:25:15 PM »
Reducing contact time / classes taught would have the greatest impact upon the quality of teaching and learning but it will never happen.

kevincooper777

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 11:15:28 AM »
This whole area I feel passionate about. I have a few quick suggestions:
(1) Appraisal / PM targets must include at least one which is focused on self-care
(2) Ofsted inspections (and ISI) include a proper investigation of workload [if appraisal included this, would be relatively easy to do as there should be records of what each teacher has done / been supported with...], with schools which give only tokenistic support for sensible work-life balance / self care etc criticised accordingly
(3) A senior manager with heart for this stuff (guess there might be some somewhere???? - eg Graham!!) to have this whole area in their job description etc.

My wife is an alternative health therapist (ex English teacher), and has begun doing INSET with schools, partly with a view to getting clients amongst the exhausted teachers, which she can then show how to look after themselves better [having witnessed at close hand not only me, but many other teachers struggling like crazy with their mental, physical and spiritual health, she has a passion for this]. One enlightened local primary school is paying for ALL their teachers to have a 10-week programme of 'teacher self-care', part one-to-one and part group work - because the Head, having been 'treated' by my wife, has seen the benefits not only for her own well-being, but the positive modelling for the children too.

The other thing I would add to this is that in my experience many senior managers are if anything MORE run off their feet than those at the chalk face, hence the s**t gets passed down rather than intercepted... it should at least become a bit of stemflow and leafdrip rather than the full whammy... :D

swhitch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 12:50:18 PM »
Kevin - nice to see a post that I can completely agree with. Reports this weekend about mental health issues for children, which teachers have been expecting for sometime given the current testing and examining regime, but little concern for teachers.

Would also ban this trendy idea, pushed by some heads, that students should do the work, have it marked and fed back, then redo it and have it marked again and fed back again and improved it again for teachers to mark and feedback. Constantly pushed by those with few and small classes or no teaching at all.
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

add

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 09:21:41 PM »
I think i read somewhere the well known SMT twitter hashtag being renamed 'notonfulltimetablechat'

You may know the one.

Geographer!
SQM CoE

Geogphotos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2014, 02:00:45 PM »
Self Unemployment suits me fine.

swhitch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2014, 03:51:01 PM »
Quality Add  ;) - these pushing the multiple set and remark strategies are totally out of tocuh with what it is like to have a full timetable
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

anything