Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Different Marking Strategies (student responses)

Author Topic: Different Marking Strategies (student responses)  (Read 3349 times)

MissGeog

• View Profile
Different Marking Strategies (student responses)
« on: October 16, 2014, 09:52:21 PM »
Hi all,

I am looking for some different ideas about marking and students responding to your comments.  I currently mark with a positive, a target and a response for the students to complete.  Most of the students respond to my comments well but I am still struggling to get ALL of my students to respond.  What do you do at your school when they don't respond and what other ideas do people have for responsive marking?

Dave

• View Profile
Re: Different Marking Strategies (student responses)
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 12:46:04 PM »
Hi,

We've introduced a system based around exit cards at the end of the lesson based on a multiple choice question. These questions focus on misconceptions, which are then cleared up at the start of next lesson.

The exit cards are marked with a red, amber or green dot (which means not understood, sort of understood and fully understood) and given back and glued in books at the start of next lesson. The students then answer a question (in green pen), which we call the red, amber or green question  (the green question moves their learning on by applying knowledge to an unfamiliar context). Their response closes the gap so within a ten minute session over the two lessons we have identified what they don't understand and then put their learning back on track.

Hope this makes sense. I'm happy to talk to you about this or give examples of what we do if you want.

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 07:51:16 PM »
We have stickers which have to be done at least once a half term (twice for core subjects). They have a feedback bit, a next step sort of bit and then the kids *have* to respond to them as well.

I'm an IT teacher these days so it can be tricky - the last one I did was on planning so I won't be planning with that group again for a few weeks so the sticker doesn't make sense to respond to next. My wife, who's a scientist (we now teach at the same school - which is "interesting"...) does them for GCSE homework questions - so the kids then *immediately* make corrections or add points to their answers to improve them. Then they write that they've done it on the sticker with the number of pages away or whatever. That works imo - not just to get evidence for someone else to look at but for the kids as well.

The school had a massive push on it a couple of years ago and they do respond - I sent e-mails to Year 7 to give them feedback on their use of e-mail and they all responded straight away. Although in that case it was "Yes, I'll do that next time" - which, imo, is a less helpful response. So, it sort of depends on what you're giving feedback on how useful it is.

The system does work - but it did take a whole school push on it to get it to happen.
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

mark_wales

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 08:15:28 PM »
I go through and put  a target next to incorrect /incomplete answers and students respond in a different colour. Every third lesson students have 10 minutes review time to complete their feedback and literacy errors. Those who do not respond get a sanction. Currently I write individual targets to either address an error, bridge the gap or extend their thinking to a higher level. I like the individuality of it  but this is proving  to be very time consuming so may go to a traffic light system or similar.

Dave I really like the sound of what you are doing. Do you have any more detail on it or perhaps some examples?

Thanks Mark
Mark Roberts
Head of Geography
Twitter: @mwrgeography
Instagram: mwrgeography

MissGeog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 01:42:11 PM »
Hi all,

Thank you for the responses it really is great to hear what other teachers and schools are doing.  I like the idea of the exit cards and can see this working well with my Key Stage 4 students.  Dave it would be great to talk about this as developing students responses to marking is something I am aiming for this year.  Is it possible you could send me a few examples to have a look at and then I can come up with some questions to ask?

Blue Square Thing I completely agree about it being a whole school thing and that they need to be on board.  I wanted to try and develop a range of different techniques that work for me in the classroom and then share these with the rest of the school.  I also agree with it not being evidence for someone else but it has to be for the students to improve on.  Is there any chance you could send me some examples of the stickers you use?

Mark I do a similar thing with the 10 minutes review time, with regards to them using a different colour, are they expected to have their own colour or do you provide it.  I have known of some schools where they use green for growth and purple for progress.

Thanks again everyone

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 08:21:24 PM »
We are trying to develop one piece of self assessed and one piece of peer assessed work per topic at KS3. For each task we are generating target sheets with 5/6 printed targets which student have to tick and then respond to in green pen.  It means feedback from peers is more focussed and higher quality. Picking targets is tricky but does make us think carefully about the task and likely errors/areas for improvement/challenge to stretch the most able.  We've only used it properly once so far this half term, way less than we had planned, but it worked pretty well.
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

Dave

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 01:23:51 PM »
This link should show a few examples. The first slide is the question first posed and students answered on their exit card. The second slide shows the follow-up question given at the start of the next lesson. Slides three and four show examples of student work.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cr21sn8rej7kcmm/DIRTy%20Geography%20-%20HOD%20briefing.pptx?dl=0

Hope this helps.

mark_wales

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 05:05:11 PM »
Thanks for the example Dave!

MissGeog - I make them provide their own but will have spares on standby.  Most are now giving good feedback and responding well to comments, and those who are not is more down to laziness rather than ability but will come on board in time
Mark Roberts
Head of Geography
Twitter: @mwrgeography
Instagram: mwrgeography

MissGeog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2014, 05:53:28 PM »
Great example Dave I am going to have a go at this after the half term. 

A good idea to have spares Mark as there is always one who forgets something.

anything