Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Fieldwork help!

Author Topic: Fieldwork help!  (Read 2450 times)

SBW2009

• View Profile
Fieldwork help!
« on: October 16, 2014, 09:09:33 PM »
Hi
Just wondering if anyone can help me - got a few questions!

We are doing coastal field woke (edexcel a) and we did ground height measurements however another staff member thinks I've done it wrong.

As we look to the sea we did left (north) and right (south) at Hornsea (holderness coast) - most as a result have left / north higher. Is this right?

We also did wave frequency - timed same location for 5 min - then pupils have worked out average - what data presentation do people suggest?

Thanks all

AliceWJ

• View Profile
Re: Fieldwork help!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 09:55:19 PM »
Hi regarding the data presentation have you tried GE graphs to do located bars for each of your sites to show ave no of waves - more than 13 (off the top of my head) shows they are destructive? Quite good to show how different areas have different types of waves which might affect rates of coastal recession in different places (eg due a headland refracting the waves etc). Sorry I can't help with your other question as don't know the area. Good luck!

SBW2009

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 10:03:04 PM »
Thanks - yeah destructive we had an average of 23! It was a wet and stormy day!!

Am I right on the principle of groyne measurements - you look at the sea for your right / left?

Thanks

stevenreader

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 08:07:48 AM »
We do the same spec/question on coastal recession. We visited Norfolk and looked at three sites including Happisburgh. We recorded bipolar analysis of defences, land use mapping, lsd, slump plotting, beach profiles and wave rates. We have been working on 11 or more as a destructive per minute. And we used proportional circles on aegis to display the data.
Great fish and chips, ice cream and fudge in Sheringham.

swhitch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 12:07:44 PM »
Longshore drift from North to south so you would expect sand to be trapped to North of the groyne - so correct
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

SBW2009

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 08:53:57 PM »
Many thanks

I thought I was going mad when a more experiences teacher has told their class it's the other way around!

swhitch

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 10:54:52 AM »
Just checked Google Earth to confirm and in places it does seem to show evidence of build up both ways so might depend where you actually measured. Go with your data, if that is what you measured that is what it shows, don't try to fit what you found to what you thought you would find.
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

SBW2009

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 11:37:13 AM »
Thanks - yeah a few were very similar etc its just the other teachers group have almost all them south being higher and I was thinking I was going mad in terms of had I done it wrong with my group. I have a feeling this other teacher hasn't collated or checked the results and some of the groups have done it wrong way around.

Thanks again!

star

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 12:41:33 PM »
Hi

I have collected data like this in Hornsea, you are correct the North is higher than the south. But there are some areas that it is the other way around - I think local factors play a role and human interference, plus the quality of the groynes - as other posts have said, go with your data and explain from there!

Hope that helps

SBW2009

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 08:58:16 PM »
Thanks all

anything