Author Topic: Census quiz thing  (Read 1189 times)

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
Census quiz thing
« on: July 22, 2014, 06:48:36 AM »
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/ng-interactive/2014/jul/21/seven-questions-that-will-tell-you-how-well-you-know-your-local-area

Enter a postcode and it gives you questions about the area to guess at. Quite an interesting idea - might be a fun thing to do in class.
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

zcsaa44

• Established Member
    • View Profile
Re: Census quiz thing
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 08:57:23 AM »
I got 54% for my postcode, however I only got 48% for my parents where I grew up and I swear I was closer on many

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 06:21:59 PM »
I got about 55% for my own one but 85% for my mothers and I've not been there for years :-)
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

kevincooper777

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 05:54:10 AM »
Saw this on Alan P's blog, was going to post a link here - I think it's a really good tool - what I wrote on Alan's blog:
That's brill, thanks Alan - been looking for a long time for an accessible way into looking at census data that doesn't take ages but actually says something of worth... Useful for AQA AS Population - and I see the draft A-level stuff has something about comparing the local to the regional to the national to the global (little bit like the OCR A 'My Place' thing) - this will be great for that too.
I got 69% on my local area - but it's very harsh if you mess up on just one question! - for me it was the owner-occupied one... which I put at about 80% but was 22%!!... which was interesting to reflect on - I'm assuming that more people than I thought live in rented cottages on country estates - as we do! - but even that doesn't really explain it... I'm wondering if maybe there's a bit of a glitch and when it says "number of households" it counts care homes etc (which we have a few of) as more than one "household"... I can imagine some good discussions like this coming up when I do this with relevant classes next year.

kevincooper777

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 06:00:16 AM »
Keep getting miles out on the home owner thing - but I think I've realised why - it says "owned with a mortgage" - so presumably doesn't count those who have paid their mortgage off... RTQ...   :D

anything