Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
WJEC Geog B Start Up and Resources (with AQA A thrown in!)

Author Topic: WJEC Geog B Start Up and Resources (with AQA A thrown in!)  (Read 1813 times)

rob6117

• View Profile
Having perused this forum several times recently without actually joining, it's now time I did and I have a query and/or offer for people out there.

I work in a school in Wales and am being made by my Head to change GCSE syllabus from AQA A to WJEC B in time for Sep 2014. He thinks AQA is more difficult to get high grades in and that we'll all have to do WJEC in Wales in a couple of years anyway when the Qualifications Wales review makes all schools in Wales do the Welsh Board. I won't go into what I think of this here.

I don't want to do WJEC A as it's so close to the A Level content I don't want repetition in 2 years time. I've never had an answer from WJEC as to why the content is so similar there.

So that leaves WJEC B. It seems very high on content (having read other posts on here people seem to agree) and it could be a challenge fitting it into 2 years. I know some schools start it is Year 9, which isn't an option for me at the moment.

So, is there anyone out there who does Spec B WJEC and has any advice on how to set it up, what to include, any good resources to look for? I'm always willing to share resources of my own in return.

The thing is, I really like the AQA A course and have plenty of resources that I soon won't need any more - I'm willing to share these if anyone is interested. We have had issues with the marks of AQA (2012 we had 14 A*'s and 12 full marks on paper 1, 2013 we had no A*'s and no full marks - this affected the overall pass rate and is the basic reason why the Head is making me change, I think) but I think it's a decent course and really would rather not change it.

Hope this all makes sense,

Rob

nicko427

• View Profile
Re: WJEC Geog B Start Up and Resources (with AQA A thrown in!)
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 09:54:01 AM »
Hi Rob,

I do WJEC B and am a new  head of department and have been teaching it for 2 years (though these have been my PGCE and NQT year in a challenging school!)

It is very content heavy and I do find it a rush at times to get through everything in sufficient depth for pupils to understand and connect with it - and am still learning the balance between depth and breadth

I have some resources of varying quality and am always adding and improving this but happy if we can find a way to share these effectively to share them with you -

A simple way that I break it down is:
- Theme 1 (Urban Geography) for 1st 1/2 of year 10
- Theme 2 (physical geography) 2nd 1/2 of  of year 10 and start controlled assessment just before the summer
- Complete controlled assessment start of Y11
- Theme 3 (to be complete by Feb half term)
- Feb 1/2 term onwards revision

Simplistic I know and as I said i'm still learning lots and adding lots of new resources in and changing stuff but anything I can do to help just shout

Nick

rob6117

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 02:07:23 PM »
Nick,

Thanks for the reply - your plan is pretty much what I've come up with, bar starting with Unit 2 as I prefer Physical geography and I think it captures the kids imaginations better early on. Finishing by Feb half term is impressive, I have it prospectively finishing by Easter, so I'll keep that in mind.

I'd be happy to look at some resources, or even just a look at how you've structured your schemes of work would be good. I'm always happy to share resources I develop or will adapt from the old AQA course. My email is rob.pengelly@welshpool-hs.powys.sch.uk.

Do you use case studies for more than one theme - that could be way of keeping the content down a little?

Cheers,

Rob

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 06:15:42 PM »
We follow AQA A and I might be interested in your resources!  Drop me an email or direct message - address over on the left there.  This is our first examined year of AQA A - fingers crossed!
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

Graham

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 05:49:58 AM »

Email me at g.goldup@cncs.co.uk
I may be able to help with resource ideas and a roadmap.
Senior Assistant Headteacher.
Line Manager-Newman Sixth Form College
Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Hove
C.Geog
GASQM 'Centre of Excellence'

rob6117

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 10:47:12 AM »
Message for edge - I have resources ready to post. I tried a direct message last week, did you get it? I'm not sure our email works direct from this site.

Rob

Evlinda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 12:57:06 PM »
We do the same plan as Nick. you can easily finish by feb half term (or just after) and have plenty of time for revision. Theme 2 always seems to take longer than the other themes- I think it is larger even though there are still only 6 case studies.

If you need any other help pm me.
Head of Geography
2nd in charge of Humanities faculty

anything