Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
VLE

Author Topic: VLE  (Read 1097 times)

Andrew Boardman

• View Profile
VLE
« on: February 11, 2014, 08:03:05 PM »
It's been a longtime since I posted. Had a range of other things going on. Not least developing the ICT at my current school. Now the following are not specifically geography questions but.

1. Any thoughts on the different VLE's - we currently use a combination of Studywiz and Edmodo, but are looking at realsmartcloud (Firefly and Frog are also in the mix) I can't help but think that the days of paying for a VLE are going, however I don't know what the options are. Any suggestions/advice would be great - especially about realsmartcloud or options rather than using a paid for VLE

2. 1:1 devices - we are currently rolling out ipads across the school and I would value linking with others who have gone through the same process.

Thanks in anticipation

Andrew

Kate Russell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Staffordshire Learning Net for Geography
Re: VLE
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 08:20:47 PM »
Welcome back Andrew!

Good questions! I hope colleagues will share their experiences and opinions here!

swhitch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 08:46:38 PM »
1:1 devices

We are not rolling out ipads across the school - we rolled them out to staff and the general feel seems to be that they are great for subjects such as PE (they can now register outside the building and video things), a great app for geology too and super to access iTunesU but of limited use to anyone else - if anyone can persuade me that they are of use then I am willing to listen but you will have to keep repeating it very very loudly.

What we now have in place is a "Bring your own device" policy

Students across the school are now allowed, ney encouraged, to have their smart phones out in lesson - for "research" purposes  :o - with the permission of the teacher  :-\ Of course they are not allowed to play games, or photograph anything (although they now do photograph the books which means that they do not need to make any notes anymore and I suspect brings in some copyright issues) or record anything or text anyone, and of course none of them would dream of doing so.

They do not get permission from 2 of the 3 geography teachers - we know what they need to know - if they want to FOFO (before you ask in polite circles it is : Find Out For Oneself ) then they can FOFO in their own time, not our lessons, thank you very much !

Hope that is helpful.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2014, 09:01:44 PM by swhitch »
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

Judith R

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 10:36:12 PM »
We had FROG for a few years.
Suffice to say that my handwritten instructions about how to link to a ppt amounted to two pages. So I ignored it.
We now have a link to 'Student Resources' drive via website. So much easier.

Will be going to BYOD next year I think.
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts