Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
new Geography National Curriculum announced

Author Topic: new Geography National Curriculum announced  (Read 10551 times)

steve brace

• View Profile
new Geography National Curriculum announced
« on: February 07, 2013, 02:43:20 PM »
Hi,

Colleagues have probably heard the news about the publication of the revised National Curriculum - including proposals for geography at KS1,2 & 3.

Links to all the proposals and accompanying consultation documents are available from this link  http://www.rgs.org/OurWork/Advocacy+and+Policy/Schools+policy.htm

The consultation closes on April 16th and the Society encourages all geography teachers to read the proposals and respond  before the deadline.

With best wishes,

Steve

Steve Brace FRGS
Head of Education
Royal Geographical Society (with IBG)

Geogphotos

• View Profile
Re: new Geography National Curriculum announced
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 03:01:15 PM »
"name, locate and identify characteristics of the four countries and capital cities of the United Kingdom and its surrounding seas"

Which are the four countries of the United Kingdom?

Geogphotos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 03:03:05 PM »
"name and locate counties and cities of the United Kingdom"

What fun!

Geogphotos

• View Profile

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 05:23:48 PM »
Thanks for the page number Ian - you'd have thought they could have put it in different documents...

Now, if you want a laugh, go and look at the history proposals. Omlg...
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

Judith R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 05:42:38 PM »
Wot no sustainability?  ???
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts

Geogphotos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 05:52:40 PM »
Thanks for the page number Ian - you'd have thought they could have put it in different documents...

Now, if you want a laugh, go and look at the history proposals. Omlg...

Yes, that should keep the poor KS2 teachers busy!

Chris LS

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 05:55:22 PM »
Yes, do look at the KS2, and then the KS3 history!!  At least the geography is non-prescriptive enough to allow for flexible interpretation.  But the history is absolutely ridiculous.  I thought that it must be a 'spoof' curriculum, as it simply looks like a never-ending list of things to "know about' - many of them quite random.  But sadly no...this is not a spoof. 
For what it's worth teachers must feedback candid thoughts during the consultation period.....

swhitch

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 06:04:24 PM »
KS3 Rather looks like GCSE - lots of repetition of KS4 and of KS5

Geological timescales and rocks are interesting and good to see glaciation too
Soils back so time to get out the old podsol notes !
Bit of a mixed bag ...... no major changes to what we currently teach.

understand, through the use of detailed place-based exemplars at a variety of scales, the key processes in:
? physical geography relating to: glaciation, plate tectonics, rocks, soils, weathering, geological timescales, weather and climate, rivers and coasts
? human geography relating to: population, international development, economic activity in the primary, secondary, tertiary and quaternary sectors, urbanisation, and the use of natural resources
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

Kate Russell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Staffordshire Learning Net for Geography
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 06:11:06 PM »
Please remember everyone that this is a consultation document (and the Coalition Govt ARE able to make U-turns!!!) so PLEASE do engage with the consultation!!!
https://www.education.gov.uk/aboutdfe/departmentalinformation/consultations/a00221262/reform-national-curriculum

Blue Square Thing

• View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 06:16:49 PM »
I would agree that I think geography has escaped, certainly relative to history. The pattern across many subjects seems to me to be, in general, to bring KS4 into KS3 and KS3 into KS2. I presume the logic is that by teaching kids harder stuff earlier in their life they're going to be better at understanding it. I don't understand that logic myself.

Or, to put it another way -

IF NOT (aChild.understand.concept OR (aChild.subject.like AND aChild.readingage <14)) Then
    aChild.pass = False
ENDIF

Ah, nice bit of Year 9 computing there...

I would be somewhat concerned about the possibility of the curriculum dating quite quickly, but I think there looks to be plenty of scope to largely ignore the boring bits and find time to do the interesting stuff they left out or that can be made up by people.

The regional tone of some of it is clearly harking back to pre-1974 eras but, again, I think can probably be largely ignored or bent to purpose without too much hassle can't it?

Geogphotos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 08:23:17 PM »
You don't think that in 'In the Thick of It' style the retreat on the removal of GCSEs today provided cover for this Nat Cur stuff which will not be picked up and nor much consulted on?

swhitch

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 08:36:45 PM »
Having seen the History guidance for KS2 and KS3 it looks like Geography will have huge take up ......... history is, to say the very least ........... content heavy - impossible I think some may conclude. You can have either breadth or depth and looking at the spec there is not going to be too much time for depth.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 08:42:49 PM by swhitch »
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

Blue Square Thing

• View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 08:54:40 PM »
I reckon you do the entire history NC in an afternoon (I'm thinking a wet one preferably - possibly in January of Year 8)

Do it with a massive set of cloze exercises. One big old book of them. Complete as many as you can and then take them home to do as homework.

Then you could teach the interesting stuff and turn people on to history. If you really think Catholic emancipation is all that interesting for KS3 (and I would argue it has it's place, possibly) then fair play - go for it.

Paul

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2013, 09:09:05 PM »
Sustainability and issues such as climate change are seen as 'values' based. If you read the Civitas report corruption of the curriculum, you can see the perspective taken by the government http://www.civitas.org.uk/press/prcsCorruption.php

Alex Standish describes how geography has become a vehicle for teaching global citizenship, with environmentalism as its central theme:

'… global citizenship education is tied to specific non-academic values that tend towards the replacement of knowledge with morality as the central focus of the curriculum. Thus global problems are not presented as issues to be interrogated for truth, knowledge and meaning, with a view to students developing ideas about the potential courses of social and political action. Instead, the solution is to be found in the personal realm and is presented as a given: that people need to adhere to a new global values system that encourages them to consume less, have fewer children, take public transport rather than drive their cars, be less money-grabbing, support charities, and so forth. Such an approach is no substitute for educating pupils to interpret the world for themselves.'

Paul
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:10:55 PM by Paul »
Paul Cornish
Director of Humanities and Head of Geography
The Coopers' Company and Coborn School

anything