Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
best place to visit in the north west for coastal scenery?

Author Topic: best place to visit in the north west for coastal scenery?  (Read 1698 times)

geojo

• View Profile
best place to visit in the north west for coastal scenery?
« on: January 11, 2013, 04:57:10 PM »
Hi
Trying to plan an AS visit (we are based in Chester) to study coastal features - as many as possible covered in the spec. Anyone do a similar visit in the area or have any suggestions for locations that are pupil friendly?
Thanks, Jo

annelogie

• Established Member
    • View Profile
Re: best place to visit in the north west for coastal scenery?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 05:45:40 PM »
North Wales coast?

podders

• @mattpodbury
    • View Profile
    • Online Geography Resources
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 09:59:58 PM »
When I worked in Sheffield, I took my students on a revision weekend to Wales. For the coasts aspect I used:

Moelfre - Anglesey - Wave Cut Platforms, undercutting, LSD and other erosional features, including bays and headlands. Moelfre is just up the coast from Benllech and about 20 mins from Bangor.

Llanfairfechan (just off the A55 between Conwy & Bangor)- Nature reserve - small spits and salt marsh development - lovely walk along with the students. Also has sea walls and groynes and good evidence of LSD.

Newborough - Excellent for psammoseres and succession as well as bays and a rather impressive headland with the fishermans cottages etc.

South Stack - Lighthouse on Anglesey. Plenty to see here but the walk may be a little heavy on the risk assessment front depending on who you are taking etc.

Llandudno West Shore to Deganwy walk for coastal protection - double sea walls, stone groynes, rip rap etc etc. Nice little history behind Lllandudno being built up on a dune that was created between the Great Orme and the Little Orme. The town is quite susceptible to coastal flooding and the sea from both shores last met in 1979. 
Geographer

geojo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 07:59:20 PM »
brillinat information - thanks. Have been to Anglesey in the past - it's quite a treck for a day trip but may decide to go back after your influence!. Was thinking maybe Sefon coast to. Thanks for any advice, Jo

Victoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Geogtastic
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 08:13:09 PM »
I was going to suggest Sefton (though have never been) but North Wales definitely would be good.  Although we don't do coasts, we do incorporate some coastal bits and pieces into our Year 12 Wales residential.  Podders has already mentioned several places - Newborough Warren is absolutely beautiful and Aberffraw is great too.  We also go to Penmaenmawr which is a very odd but quite interesting place and good examples of various coastal defences.

podders

• @mattpodbury
    • View Profile
    • Online Geography Resources
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 10:58:43 PM »
I have the old GCSE revision pack if you would like me to send you a copy. Just let me know and I can email one over.
Geographer

geojo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 07:37:03 PM »
brilliant - thanks. My new e-mail is jowraige@hotmail.co.uk
Many thanks