Author Topic: AfL and progression evidence  (Read 1574 times)

lizzie1

• View Profile
AfL and progression evidence
« on: January 10, 2013, 07:46:23 PM »
Feeling a tad demoralised and lacking confidence here at the mo, so asking for some ideas. We are currently in notice to improve and will probably end up in SM.
What I would like to have is ideas of how you show progression in those first 10 minutes! What starters do you use that really have the wow factor and get kids engaged as well as enabling progress to be monitored? Also what AfL techniques work especially well in geog?
Thankyou for any advice!  :-\
Head Of Humanities

Victoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Geogtastic
Re: AfL and progression evidence
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 07:51:13 PM »
It's certainly nothing groundbreaking but I try and start lessons with a photograph or set of photographs on the board - there's usually a question to go with it (generally open-ended) and if students write their answers on their mini-whiteboards (they have these in diaries and have their own pens - supposedly) then all are involved.

Kim

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 08:00:18 PM »
How strange I was typing at the same time going to say  a captivating photo with the 5 ws . Lesson aims with the level indicated next to them is helpful.

parxs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 08:32:25 PM »
Nothing new but refer back to the all, most & some objectives to show progress.

Also have a tracking sheet in the student books/portfolios with their target grades & assessment grades to show how they've improved over time.

OFSTED are increasingly using student books/portfolios as a way of measuring progress over time and to make a judgement on the quality of teaching.
Head of Humanities & AST
Helenswood School, Hastings
Geosense top score: 8054

gparxs@hotmail.com

Evlinda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2013, 02:10:59 PM »
KWL grid- get them to write under three headings- what they know about the topic at the start of the lesson and then at the end- fill in the last two- what they learnt and what they still want to know.

If doing A Level or GCSE case study revision- you could give them a question on a sheet- get them to write down what they already know, then go back to it at the end in a different colour and add more- got that from a colleague i observed.

Head of Geography
2nd in charge of Humanities faculty

add

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »
KWL grids....you could do a big one for whole class or large groups on A3...get some different coloured felt tips so you can track individuals. They will not be able to opt out then.

I am a big fan of post it notes:

i.e. Lesson on +/- impacts of tourism: students work in pairs to come up with as many as possible come and stick on board in +/- column or even classify into SEE, after each part demonstrate progress by...

Starter: add some more

Main Part: add some more

Then Plenary review...choose best/top 3/examples to support/higher level vocab

Allows to be a bit more active and exciting perhaps.

In simple terms show prior knowledge learning at start and return to that at end it could simple be a definition of a word i.e. sustainability compare at start of lesson and end...progress easy:)

Odd...I have always found that kids get engaged when they get out of there seats... whatever they do. A quirky video is always a good way to engage but also control to allow a positive start.

What topics are you doing this term?

Good luck.
Geographer!
SQM CoE

Judith R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2013, 10:22:13 PM »
One simple idea.
Our planners have traffic light sheets in and I have a laminated copy stuck on the boardd - but you could use plain coloured card.
At start of lesson do a 'hands-up' for each colour and write number next to each - you can revisit and add numbers in each group to show progress as lesson goes on.

Where are they now, where do they want to be, how are they going to get there.
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts