Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Geography Christmas Quiz

Author Topic: Geography Christmas Quiz  (Read 4056 times)

SCD

• View Profile
Geography Christmas Quiz
« on: December 07, 2012, 05:04:44 PM »
I need help!!! I know that I have had the most amazing Christmas quiz via this forum in years gone by! I think I remember the creator 'hanging up her quizmaster hat' and I am attempting to create my own only the best rounds were the sounds / songs. Does anyone know how to create a montage of songs really easily?

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
Re: Geography Christmas Quiz
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 06:30:22 PM »
You mean cut 10 seconds or so of a bunch of songs together?

If you have the songs as mp3 (or m4a - i.e. iTunes) format then you can do this really easily in Audacity. My Year 7s were essentially doing the same thing on Wednesday - I have the sheets I used with them if you need them!

You'd need the Lame dll as well, but it's dead easy.

I'd offer to do it for you, but the chances of me having the music files is vaguely limited I'm afraid. Unless it's 80s pop or 70s prog you're after :-)
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

gill

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 08:55:01 PM »
Hi BST
I would really like to know how to do that as well! If you could send me any help sheets too, I would appreciate it.
Many thanks  :)

SCD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 10:25:19 PM »
Yes BST that's exactly it! I don't expect you to do it I have teenage daughters who will have the songs just need the know how! Can you please send me or post instructions :D

Blue Square Thing

• View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 12:34:34 AM »
They're now on the internetz at http://www.bluesquarething.co.uk/kthree/audio.htm

*Very* simple instructions for some really quite weak Year 7s who didn't know how to copy a file - so there's lots to skip through to find the good bits I'm afraid.

You'll need to download and install Audacity as well as it's Lame plugin (if you want mp3 format - you can save as a massive wav file otherwise). The Lame instructions can seem a little daunting but it's not as bad as it seems - just get the file, stick it somewhere safe and then go to it when you first export. If you never delete the file then you'll never have to find it again.

MP3 files can be embedded in powerpoints using Office 2011 and, I believe, Office 2010 - otherwise they have to be linked (wav can be embedded anyway). If you embed in new versions the audio seems to be playable 2007 versions of PPT (but not 2003).

I can seem to open w4a files (i.e. iTunes files) in Audacity although it throws an error message at me initially - but then I can edit and export without a problem. If it causes problems for you (and kids at school have had problems doing this with the windows version of Audacity - although the version could be older) then you can convert iTunes format files to mp3s - Apple even tells you how to do this at http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1550?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US (there's no drm at all on iTunes stuff that's anyway near recent btw, although if you have very old stuff lurking still then you may have an issue with it).

Ask if you have questions, problems, issues or just plain can't do it :-)

Blue Square Thing

• View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 10:32:28 AM »
I added a screenshot and a brief explanation of how to create the sort of thing you're looking for btw.

It's quite sad that my 8 year old knows what A New England and Electronic Renaissance sound like actually :-)

gill

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 01:45:19 PM »
Will give it a go - thank you!

hre99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 06:34:15 PM »
Another way is to import them all into windows moviemaker and use the music tool to cut them to the time you want.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 08:13:15 PM by hre99 »

briggsr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2012, 07:47:04 PM »
Could not survive the last week without the quiz! So here is my attempt.
Round 10 is about Bath, so you will have to change it!
Enjoy!!

https://www.box.com/s/h8etac4cefwsoavrn79o

Briggsy

HB100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 10:37:43 PM »
Hi guys - yes our school banned Christmas - I used to use Sony audio forge to make the 10 songs merge.  My kids are pining for one this year but sadly can't deliver as ill get knacked :-(

Still new job in January so hopefully a more child friendly school :-)

Happy Christmas SLN x

Andoca

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 11:25:25 PM »
Good Luck in your new "child friendly school", sounds like a wise move.  Congrats!  ;D
Head of geog in a 9-13 middle school.
Assistant headteacher.
Mother, worrier, football fan, rainbow chaser.

anything