Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Coastal management

Author Topic: Coastal management  (Read 2630 times)

briggsy

• View Profile
Coastal management
« on: November 16, 2012, 10:20:58 AM »
I am about to start coastal management with my GCSE classes.  I normally 'teach' the different methods, how they work, pros/cons, etc.
I would like to do something different.  I have the beginnings of an idea but wonder if anyone has any thoughts that may help...
I am thinking about some sort of group activity where each member of the group goes off to different 'stations' to find out about the different methods and then reports back to their group. They then use the information to complete a decision making activity, possibly independently.
If anyone has any good/interesting/different ways of covering coastal management, I'd love to hear them.
Dave

polleyk

• View Profile
Re: Coastal management
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:09:52 PM »
sounds good idea. We also do the coastal pop up model to sum up coastal methods. this is mentioned eleswhere on the site- it may be at Tony Cassidy's web site.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 06:11:56 PM by polleyk »

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 06:28:18 PM »
You might be able to work Taboo cards in there as well - they seemed to always work well for any coastal stuff.
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

GZT

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 03:50:39 PM »
Have sent you an e-mail, we did someone's blind date and my colleague did coastal management biscuits, followed by case study for Happisburgh. This was for year 9 but should transfer to GCSE.

briggsy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:41:17 AM »
Thanks for all the help, it is really appreciated!
Dave

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 10:51:46 AM »
I forgot this was there - http://www.bluesquarething.co.uk/geography/coasts.htm

You won't be able to use all of it, but the speech bubbles might be helpful possibly. There seems to be an odd one out as well - no idea if it's any use as I can't remember what's in it :-)

Oh - I guess you might want beach profiles at some point as well? http://www.bluesquarething.co.uk/geography/beach.htm
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

Evlinda

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 07:02:50 PM »
Coastal management biscuits??? Please explain- it sounds like something my yr 10 would love!
Head of Geography
2nd in charge of Humanities faculty

GZT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 09:07:05 PM »
My colleague told me about it and as we were about to be ofsteded we planned it together. you can alter the biscuits and the kids can use them to represent any strategy they choose. Mini chocolate fingers, mini jammie dodgers, custard creams and iced gems, some even crumbled some up for beach nourishment. They work as a group and have to decide which strategies they will use on their plan. The plan was drawn on A3 paper with prevailing winds, cliffs, beach, town, farmland and so on. Each group has to present their management plan, explaining what strategies they used where and why. Kids loved it.

Jog Jog

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2012, 03:24:53 PM »
My colleague told me about it and as we were about to be ofsteded we planned it together. you can alter the biscuits and the kids can use them to represent any strategy they choose. Mini chocolate fingers, mini jammie dodgers, custard creams and iced gems, some even crumbled some up for beach nourishment. They work as a group and have to decide which strategies they will use on their plan. The plan was drawn on A3 paper with prevailing winds, cliffs, beach, town, farmland and so on. Each group has to present their management plan, explaining what strategies they used where and why. Kids loved it.

Sounds like a great idea.  Can anyone suggest a good DVD/video of coastal management or coastal processes?  I still long to find a copy of Bernard Clark's one - something like 'Changing Coastline' - where he stands on the beach (somewhere on the Dorset coast I think) and explains LSD, fetch etc.  I always enjoyed showing this to the students; if anyone has a copy of it, perhaps you could get in touch!

HB100

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2012, 09:57:27 PM »
Is it shifting sands? I think I have it, will have a look.

anything