Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Knowledge driven curriculum on its way - History first

Author Topic: Knowledge driven curriculum on its way - History first  (Read 1602 times)

Geogphotos

• View Profile
Knowledge driven curriculum on its way - History first
« on: October 22, 2012, 08:47:29 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/9624840/Soon-history-will-come-alive-again-in-class.html

History about to go back to sleep I'd have thought rather than come alive.

Geogphotos

• View Profile
Re: Knowledge driven curriculum on its way - History first
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2012, 09:19:38 AM »
Ahh. Didn't take long for somebody to turn on geography"

"In the end there are only two sorts of teaching: good and bad.  But among all this fuss about history, which is not taught badly as far as I can see, why does no one ever mention geography?  It is geography lessons that have changed into dull-as-ditchwater propaganda sessions.  Two examples for 13-year-olds: watching the fiction film '2012' as a 'spur to discussion' about global warming; evaluating a list of options of how to improve the economy of the Italian Mezzogiorno, ALL of which involved state spending and NONE of which was 'withdraw the public money and let the market sort it out'.  Meanwhile none of the kids know where in the world cities, rivers, countries and whole continents are.  Why doesn't the Torygraph get hot under the collar about that for a change?"

We are in deeply political waters. It is not the time to say that you don't have an interest in politics. This lot will do as much as they can to make irreversible ( or at least hard to reverse) changes over the next 2.5 years. They are in a hurry.

Be prepared for some parents pushing you over your 'propaganda' especially if you are in the south.

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2012, 03:35:30 PM »
I think I read some of the core knowledge they were planning on putting in the History curriculum. Scary as hell some of the stuff they expect KS1 to know - am I right that the Divine Right of Kings was in there?

Mind you, I've been reading the proposals for KS1 Computing today - anyone fancy teaching Year 1 a spot of binary addition? ;-)
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 04:07:50 PM »
You may find this broadcast tonight interesting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01ng4h5

swhitch

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2012, 05:01:30 PM »
Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.Donald Rumsfeld February 2002

So the real question is will we know what we are going to be tested on or will that be an unknown unknown?  :-\
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

Geogphotos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2012, 05:18:46 PM »
Reports that say that something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know. And if one looks throughout the history of our country and other free countries, it is the latter category that tend to be the difficult ones.Donald Rumsfeld February 2002

So the real question is will we know what we are going to be tested on or will that be an unknown unknown?  :-\

I don't think that will any shortage of things to test!