Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Academy - should I be concerned?

Author Topic: Academy - should I be concerned?  (Read 3113 times)

HB100

• View Profile
Academy - should I be concerned?
« on: October 21, 2012, 08:17:33 PM »
Hiya folks

Slightly off topic (not Geog) but wondered if you could share your opinions - I have a job interview on Tuesday at a school that is applying to become an Academy out of choice.

The school I am at has results below the national floor targets so is likely to be an academy within a year or so anyway.

Should I be concerned about going to the new school? How has it changed life for people in schools that are already academies?

Much appreciated
Helen x

Judith R

• View Profile
Re: Academy - should I be concerned?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 08:20:54 PM »
Can't answer your question - but hope all goes well for you hun.  :)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 08:49:00 PM by Judith R »
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts

Kate Russell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Staffordshire Learning Net for Geography
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 08:42:25 PM »
Honestly .... its probably better to be at a school chosing to convert to academy rather than one which will be made to be an academy. However, personal opionion only, I would be wary of being employed at an academy anyway.

Good luck for interview - remember it is a two way process, not only are they selecting the teacher, the teacher is selecting the school! Ask searching questions re conditions and terms of service (pay, school day, holidays etc), curriculum plans and  security, budgets, and so on.

HB100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 08:44:04 PM »
Cheers, I had the same thought really.  If I stay where I am we will be one before the close of this academic year I am led to believe...

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 09:25:32 PM »
I was reading an absolute horror story from someone in an academy on another board yesterday - a chain which pushes teachers way beyond anything I've ever seen before, particularly HoD.

But I suspect it all depends on the chain - the ones which have avoided chains seem OK around here afaik.
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

Geogphotos

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2012, 09:27:55 PM »
Good luck with it. Personally I'd be wary of what sort of contract I was getting into and what Gove is going to start on next with pay, holidays, workload etc

HB100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2012, 09:29:37 PM »
This is not a chain. The consultation paper says :

Staffing
When the school converts the staff automatically transfers to the new academy. The leadership team and Governors are committed to ensuring that we will offer rates of pay and conditions of service which at least match those available in comparable schools and reward our staff appropriately. This is one of the core principles we will adhere to in framing the constitution of the academy.

davegnu8

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »
We chose to become an academy a year and half ago. It is better to be in one that hasn't had it forced on them. As long as the terms and conditions have not been tampered with, then not much is different for us.

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2012, 11:03:00 PM »
We've been an academy for a little over a year through choice.  Nothing much has changed at all, no noticeable differences.  Sme old, same old!  Good luck with the interview.
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

swhitch

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2012, 11:26:35 PM »
We opted to convert April 1st last year. Only change has been restructure of TLRs, so far.

Good luck with interview.
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

davevade

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2012, 08:23:01 PM »
Good luck with the interview! Started at an academy in September having moved from a non-academy. No noticeable difference in relation to being at an academy... yet!

jazzclub

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2012, 06:49:04 PM »
I am in my 6th year as an academy, and was part of the failing school it replaced school. I wont lie, its been hard work. However, we've gone from 5%-42% in this period.
Do the ends justify the means? Having a young family its hard and staff turnover is high. As a middle manager I feel we shoulder an inequitable amount of work. An observation I have found with our academy, and local ones is that they are very much top heavy, lots of chiefs, not so many indians. I find this complicates lines of communication and jobs that took 10 minutes can now take hours- and that is just copying people in emails.

HB100

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2012, 07:09:03 PM »
Thanks for all the advice - they actually have 4 more to interview tomorrow so I won't know until then. Have to say I loved the school and the Academy bit was discussed but it did not put me off.

Am absolutely goosed now so going to relax tonight.  Will keep you all posted xx