Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Exam marking concerns

Author Topic: Exam marking concerns  (Read 1929 times)

Nik

• former bfc53
    • View Profile
Exam marking concerns
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:11:05 AM »
Two y11 pupils asked for a REMARK of the same GCSE unit they sat in June 2012. The results came today and were as follows:

candidate A         original mark 40/50   new mark   43/50   original UMS 88   new UMS   95

candidate B         original mark 40/50   new mark   38/50   original UMS 88   new UMS   83

So our two candidates who were given the same mark and UMS in the summer are now 12 UMS points apart.
This has left me even more concerned than usual about the quality of exam marking.

I am interested in whether people feel this is something that is worth appealing and how that process should begin?

Nik
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:54:48 PM by Nik »

swhitch

• View Profile
Re: Exam marking concerns
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2012, 11:38:58 AM »
Suggest this might have been a remark not resit.

The problem here is that there is the disclaimer that marks can go down so their original mark may be the same but their remark is different.  Always a concern when remarking !

We have just had two papers back from an AS - one up 6% the other 5%, one is a grade changer.

The exam system is in meltdown and just imagine if they go to one exam as many of the boards don't seem to be able to cope with the relatively small numbers that they have at present. Does not bode well !

PLEASE do sign the e-petition against the english grades fiasco ..... the more the merrier ! http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/37620
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 12:39:14 PM by swhitch »
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

Graham

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 12:19:39 PM »

The remark period, I think,  has closed now. Check with your Examinations Officer. I agree we seem to have a few grade changes and UMS point score changes at AS and A2 level.

Senior Assistant Headteacher.
Line Manager-Newman Sixth Form College
Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Hove
C.Geog
GASQM 'Centre of Excellence'

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 12:48:35 PM »
The tolerance on that paper is probably +/- 3 marks. Possibly 2.

If it's +/- 3 then 43 and 38 are within expected bounds and there's nothing the exam board will do about it (probably).

If it's +/-2 then they might - but don't hold your breath (anecdote: I once had a paper go up +18 marks (/100 - tolerance +/-5); Edexcel refused to acknowledge there was an issue. This was a long time ago.)

Were the papers hand marked originally or marked on computer? If they were hand marked then every question will have been seen by the same examiner. In that case I would be more concerned perhaps - especially if their candidate numbers are a long way apart (examiners tend to mark batches of scripts and I've found they tended to get either slightly more or less generous towards the end of a big batch).

If they're computer marked then there's less you can be sure about. Fwiw computer marking is why I stopped examining...
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

Nik

• former bfc53
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 12:58:59 PM »
Thanks for your useful comments. It is GCSE AQA B and I can't remember if that is computer marked. As BST says the tolerance is likely to be +/- 3 which will leave us little room for complaint.

Tris

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 01:26:42 PM »
It is also VERY hard to appeal a remark (which is already an appeal)
The only option you have left is a proceedural complaint and my best wishes to you if you try - akin to head and brick walls

JDi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 02:52:18 PM »
My concern with the exams taken in the summer is how harsh the marking was and how the mark scheme was interpreted.  After having poor results in year 10 I requested some of the papers and really cannot understand how marks were dropped.  The student who did best in the exam achieved 39/50, but after going through the paper and using the mark scheme I would have awarded 44/50 - it does concern me what is actually required in an answers.

Blue Square Thing

• View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 03:09:00 PM »
AQA B seems to be marked on paper iirc - someone here has marked it recently. It's what I used to mark in it's AQA C days.

From a remarkers pov we were always told to try not to change the marks if we could help it. You had to be *certain* of a change to call it. That advice might have changed now of course.

Blue Square Thing

• View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 03:14:42 PM »
My concern with the exams taken in the summer is how harsh the marking was and how the mark scheme was interpreted.  After having poor results in year 10 I requested some of the papers and really cannot understand how marks were dropped.  The student who did best in the exam achieved 39/50, but after going through the paper and using the mark scheme I would have awarded 44/50 - it does concern me what is actually required in an answers.

For what it's worth...

I would tend to believe that teachers mark papers differently to examiners. I know I used to mod my colleagues marking and would usually find I wasn't agreeing entirely with them. In general , I think, teachers tend to overmark a little - tbh if you're finding you'd give 44 and it got 39 that sounds about right to me.

Sorry - you may have marked before and that would make a difference to what I felt about the chances of us agreeing on marks. My pov is based entirely on the 8 or 9 people I've worked with who I've modded marks for. Don't take it personally - it's a general feeling I have (and, having said that one of those 9 was always much, much harsher than me as well...).

As a team leader we were always encouraged (on the specs I was TL on - and this isn't true for every spec I've marked) to encourage markers to use marks - there is a tendency on a 9 mark question, for example, for v few markers to give >7 - so you end up with most of the scripts (on HT) in the 5-7 band. We'd always try and discourage that fwiw.

anything