Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Geographies and Geography

Author Topic: Geographies and Geography  (Read 2336 times)

Geogphotos

• View Profile
Geographies and Geography
« on: September 13, 2012, 10:23:46 AM »
As I'm out of touch could somebody kindly explain the difference between, for example, 'Urban geography' and 'Urban geographies'.

Clearly one is in the plural form, but the singular 'geography' would include multiple ( therefore plural) approaches to the topic, so what exactly is the distinction?

And why wouldn't we call our subject 'Geographies'?

I've just read through the excellent GA consultation document and come across these different terms in use within.

Just to be a little provocative is 'geographies' just trying hard to be trendy as in 'post-modern'?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 10:36:57 AM by Geogphotos »

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
Re: Geographies and Geography
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 03:38:58 PM »
I remember geographies from the 80s at uni tbh - so, yeah, maybe it is post modernism :-)

For the life of me I can't remember the difference really and, frankly, it's Thursday afternoon and I don't work on Friday so there's a crate of beer in the garage I need to attack...
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

Geogphotos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 04:52:52 PM »
Would that be a crate of beers?

Blue Square Thing

• View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 04:59:49 PM »
Crates of beers actually - I do like beer shopping in Denmark :-)

Geogphotos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 05:38:48 PM »
Dids you gets the ferry to Denmarks? I lookeds into its and its would have costs hundreds as a single foots passengers because you had to takes a whole cabins.

Is beers cheaps in Denmarks or somethings - or justs to yours likings?
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 07:14:42 PM by Geogphotos »

Kate Russell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Staffordshire Learning Net for Geography
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 07:58:46 PM »
The term "geographies" has been used when talking about personal geographies - indeed implying that someone can have more than one geography - so I am a traveller and experience geography when travelling; I am interested in the environment, so that is another of my geographies; I live in rural Staffordshire, so that is my everyday geography.

Good question though!

Geogphotos

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 08:34:37 PM »
How come we have 'Geographies of development' in the GA doc?

That strikes me as an area where the vast majority of British kids have no direct experience to draw upon.

Blue Square Thing

• View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 08:40:38 PM »
Dids you gets the ferry to Denmarks? I lookeds into its and its would have costs hundreds as a single foots passengers because you had to takes a whole cabins.

Is beers cheaps in Denmarks or somethings - or justs to yours likings?

Yes on the ferry, but we go for a fortnight or three weeks in the summer - it's cheaper at half term and so on and you can get good eals out of holiday time I think - so it's worthwhile to pay the cost. Lovely place and, most importantly, the beer comes in milk crates in supermarkets - pick up the crate, tak the beer home, drink it, return the bottles to get the deposit back etc... :-)

No idea if the beer's cheap, but it's certainly popular there - laid back and chilled too, the whole west Jutland coastline is a geographers dream in many ways.

add

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 10:21:42 PM »
I would suggest that development would include globalisation of trade and therefore (if they are aware or not) influence students lives on a daily basis.
Geographer!
SQM CoE

Geogphotos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 10:29:13 PM »
So which bits are 'geography' and which 'geographies'?

Des

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 08:02:55 AM »
There is no grammatical justification for the use of 'geographies' rather than 'geography.' Nevertheless, 'geographies' is increasingly widely used, presumably because it is quite effective in emphasising that a plurality of views/concepts exists. It tends to be more commonly used in human geography; I'm struggling to think of physical examples, but I'm pretty sure they exist.

Tris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 09:48:55 AM »
I have always assumed geographies to be a nonsense word that someone invented to make it sound better
I really dont know how a person can have different 'geographies' - surely the eclectic mix of influences makes you have one, your own personal, geography
one for the banned words list I think!

anything