Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Atlas lessons

Author Topic: Atlas lessons  (Read 1734 times)

HB100

• View Profile
Atlas lessons
« on: August 30, 2012, 03:06:22 PM »
Hiya - hope everyone had a good summer.

Am planning to add 2-3 1 hour atlas lessons into Y7, before I start making worksheets was wondering if anyone had any recommendations or fun activities they would be kind enough to share?

I also need to buy two sets of atlas' so again, any recommendations for the best and most accessible??

Helen x

htdavies

• Established Member
    • View Profile
Re: Atlas lessons
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 03:28:51 PM »
We bought collins atlases from the book people- they were great value.
I bought the world puzzle book from the GA years ago and pupils still love completing many of the activities.

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 03:33:46 PM »
We use atlases in regular lessons, so kids are familiar with them as sources of information. Mapping tasks, comparing countries, top trumps prep, satellite imagery as a source etc.  we always make it a competition to identify the best page for... Kids get competitive and work in teams/pairs to look at the contents.

We also bought ours from the Book People a couple of years ago, got a great deal and they all came with plastic covers!
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

HB100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »
Thanks edge, will try them. Hope you had a good summer.  :)

Katharine

• View Profile
    • Worldlywise
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 04:01:40 PM »
Try The Book People -Phillip's Modern School Atlas in hardback currently a bargain at £3.99
Head of Humanities
www.worldlywise.pbworks.com - support for the new AQA(B) GCSE
www.chestertoncurriculum.org.uk/geography - departmental homepage

Terry Jones

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 04:12:45 PM »
I did this a few years ago and used a series of maps printed on A5 sheets at different scales from world down to regional with names of countries, cities, physical features to be found and joined with a straight line using a ruler.  These were located using atlases and learnt for homework - then tested - I had a bar chart which I updated when they achieved 100% in each of the tests ( bit like spelling tests) - starting with continents and oceans and moving through to countries, cities and physical features - I awarded a certificate for level of achievement.  I also have some useful powerpoints that tests knowledge and understanding. 

I have put these together in my share area - http://www.4shared.com/folder/0nLWzcAM/_online.html
Head of Humanities and Director of Studies in a Special School for Dyslexics. 
Interests - sailing, mountain biking, caving, climbing, drinking.

HB100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 04:40:37 PM »
Thanks for sharing - and I'll get onto book peeps on Monday.

:-*