Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Moving to AQA A - Past Papers?

Author Topic: Moving to AQA A - Past Papers?  (Read 4401 times)

edge

• View Profile
Moving to AQA A - Past Papers?
« on: August 27, 2012, 10:53:26 AM »
Hi, finally made the decision to move to AQA A ad am busy planning.  Could anyone help me out with electronic copies of past papers from the legacy spec which I could use for exam practice?  I've been able to download some short course ones from eAQA but the only legacy papers online are the 2010 ones for the full course.  My email should be over on the left - thanks in advance. Emma.
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

Victoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Geogtastic
Re: Moving to AQA A - Past Papers?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 11:11:37 AM »
Have you got the June 2010 and June 2011 ones from the main part of the AQA website?

Which units are you doing?

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 11:54:00 AM »
Yep got those, its the earlier ones I was looking for from the legacy specification.  Probably going to do Tourism, Globalisation and Urban for Human and Restless Earth, Coasts and Living World for Physical.  Although might look at doing Rocks as it seems less content heavy than other topics - also very straight forward. 
Head of Geography

Victoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Geogtastic
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 11:57:23 AM »
Ah ok, sorry.

We're doing Development, Tourism and I think Urban.  For physical, definitely Coasts and Living World and I want to do Rocks but colleagues are not keen (despite one of them's degree being half geology!!).  We do tectonics in Year 9 so we may do a 'top up' of that so they have a choice (I know you are not keen on that idea but I am!! ;) ).

smrb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 12:52:48 PM »
Hi

Apologies I can't see an email address for you as I can help you out?
Best wishes
Simon

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2012, 01:10:42 PM »
Thanks Simon, address should be there now. Click the envelope. I think!
Head of Geography

Victoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Geogtastic
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 01:14:54 PM »
I think the envelope only allows you to send a message.  I don't think you can attach things, and you can't actually see the email address of the person you're sending the message to.

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 01:57:20 PM »
You're right Victoria! Simon, if you send me a message I can give you my email address.  You'd be doing me a massive favour. Thanks.
Head of Geography

smrb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2012, 02:36:12 PM »
You should have mail for legacy AQA C I am afraid ...if anyone can help Edge out with legacy AQA A I am sure she will still be grateful!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 03:38:44 PM by smrb »

Tris

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 09:39:49 PM »
I can do AQA A 06, 07, 08 - Foundation, higher and mark schemes
Message me an email address

Tris

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2012, 09:42:24 PM »
Also if you're students are good then tourism is a little bit wishy washy to say the least and we're swapping it to do urban, dvp, globalisation. Some of the tourism is so blindingly obvious that they got bored.

Physical wise - tectonics, weather, ice. We do AQA at A-level where hydro is compulsory do didn't want to repeat ad infinitum!

Victoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Geogtastic
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2012, 10:08:37 PM »
That's interesting Tris - we do AQA at A Level and had therefore made the decision to avoid rivers, cold environments and population at GCSE, but hadn't excluded topics we do at A2.  As for tourism, we tend to have a range from A* to G... One colleague is very keen, the other wrote 'BORING!!!' when I asked them for their thoughts about which we should do...

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 09:06:09 AM »
I chose tourism because the kids like it, it id also easy to resource as we currently teach it so will take less time planning!  I know what you mean about wishy-washy, but we get god marks for it.  I also chose it as a Y10 topic bcause there is realtively little in the way of terminology to remember over two years for some of the weaker students.  Whilst we have an able cohort (55% A*/A this year) we have a large number of weaker students who opt for geography too.  The other topics aren't definite yet as I am planning this without the input of my department yet!  I am thinking seriously of swapping coasts for rocks (which the girls seem to really love when we do limestone in Y7!) and keep coasts for AS.  But this means my controlled assessment would need to change as we've always done coasts.  Some serious thinking needs doing once we are a team back at school.  I'll leave my department to enjoy their hols and plan tourism as HOD!
Head of Geography

Kim

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 10:12:52 AM »
Edge do you have Exampro Practice Papers in Minutes AQA? It contains a series of example questions but in reality are all the questions asked by the board over years!!

star

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2012, 10:36:02 AM »
Hi

I am possibly looking at moving to AQA A, can any one help give me an idea what the controlled assessment questions are like? I would more than likely look at the coastal zone question.

many thanks

anything