Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
does anyone teach the same units to all years at ks3 at the same time?!

Author Topic: does anyone teach the same units to all years at ks3 at the same time?!  (Read 1969 times)

geojo

• View Profile
Bit of a funny one!! Having just been given 'the teachers toolkit' to read over the summer (!!!) there are lots of great ideas - however they require a lot of planning and some are very dependent on time to set up the room, resources etc. To make life easier I was contemplating teaching the simultaneous units to years 7, 8 and 9 and make like a rolling programme so that eventually all years will have studied all topics at KS3! Does anyone have experience with this? Obviously some tasks will need to be altered for ability but the nature of the 'independent learning' described in the book may lend itself well to this? I may be mad to even contemplate it - any thoughts?
Jo

Victoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Geogtastic
Interesting one!  I haven't, and to be honest had never even thought about it, but can see potential benefits - I've had times where I've been teaching the same topic at GCSE and at A Level at the same time and been able to use modified versions of the same resources.

That said, we have huge differences in ability within one class in one year group - to teach the same thing to both Year 7 and Year 9 at my school would be almost as much work as planning different units for each year group from scratch.  Depending on the number of KS3 classes you teach, it could get pretty dull teaching the same thing so many times too...

Terry Jones

• Established Member
    • View Profile
I did it for the Olympic Games Unit - it worked well.  I have also done so for GCSE which makes planning easy.  I think it might be feasible for year 8 and 9 - year 7 tends to be more of a settling in and maybe skills based year.

Let us know how it goes if you do choose this route.
Head of Humanities and Director of Studies in a Special School for Dyslexics. 
Interests - sailing, mountain biking, caving, climbing, drinking.

Anne

• View Profile
Geat idea! I also do it for GCSE - teach same units to Y10   and Y11 - agree it may work for 8 and 9 ... also agree it may get a tad dull ... but an interesting idea :)

Stephen Schwab

• View Profile
    • Visit the New Geography Teacher's Discussion Group by Clicking Here!
Not getting this idea, simple for planning yes, but many buts for me, teacher boredom, stress on resources, differentiation by age as well as ability, across KS3 stunts curriculum planning.
Most schools I've been to dont go for this, except for a unit immersion like the Olympics.
But try it, if it works for you great, and let us know.
GA Consultant.
Teaching and Learning Consultant.
GA SPC Member.

edge

• View Profile
We did it with modules at GCSE and it works well, but I did get bored! Revision classes were very crowded around exam time with 200 kids doing the same exam. It also made it difficult to seat them all for the exams officer!
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

David Rogers

• View Profile
    • Blog
We have done this in the past and it saves a lot of heartache when having to change the whole curriculum. We also teach GCSE in rotation so teach the some units at the same time.

Never had any problem with this approach as long as it isn't the whole curriculum.  We don't teach an 'Olympics' unit, preferring to embed relevant parts in the appropriate places, although we do have 'floating topicality' units (Jeff S term) where we explore the same event with all classes, including KS4.
@davidErogers
Assistant Headteacher and pedagogic trouble maker.

Stephen Schwab

• View Profile
Your floating topicality unit is my unit immersion unit, so different name same philosophy David. :)
GA Consultant.
GA SPC Member.

David Rogers

• View Profile
    • Blog
Apart from Floating Topicality isn't a unit. Some years it doesn't happen, other times it happens a lot. Point is that it allows exploration of a news event, but the risk is a lack of depth and surface learning.
@davidErogers
Assistant Headteacher and pedagogic trouble maker.

Stephen Schwab

• View Profile
Agree wih approach you & I describe & the appraisal of that approach.
GA Consultant.
GA SPC Member.