Author Topic: OFQUAL GCSE accreditation  (Read 27651 times)

Simon

• View Profile
OFQUAL GCSE accreditation
« on: June 25, 2012, 07:53:57 PM »
Just wanted to conduct a quick survey here...

We follow the OCR A GCSE for geography. Last Friday the exam board have released some fairly significant proposed revisions for spec A which they are awaiting accreditation from OFQUAL for. 

I know the spec B proposals were released a few weeks ago and discussed here but these changes are due to be implemented for teaching in September 2012 and lack any detail that would assist planning. That leaves our department with no time this academic year to do any preparation.

With every exam board / spec facing this issue it strikes me as beyond reasonable to expect departments to manage this transition within the time frame proposed. Am I on my own with this one?

Victoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Geogtastic
Re: OFQUAL GCSE accreditation
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 08:01:54 PM »
No, you are certainly not on your own.  We do OCR B and although there are no proposals for changes to the content of the spec, the intention is to more-or-less get rid of the SDME which is one of the reasons we chose this spec in the first place.  I have looked at the iGCSE but the lack of EBacc accreditation means that that is not an option for us at the moment.

It's a ridiculous situation to be in.  The question is, what can we do about it?!

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 08:07:25 PM »
Fwiw I know of at least one occasion where science specs have for teaching in the September were only finally approved in October or November. And that was with a reasonable lead in time, which this bunch of clowns benevolent government haven't given the exam boards this time around.

But it'll all be fine because it's all going to change again for teaching in 2014 if Gove Levels go ahead in the way that Pob wants.

e2a: I believe the approved Gove response to this is "man up" btw.
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

Blue Square Thing

• View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 08:09:31 PM »
I have looked at the iGCSE but the lack of EBacc accreditation means that that is not an option for us at the moment.

Have they gotten around to updating their set of qualifications that count for Stuff yet btw? I keep on meaning to find the time to look, but finding anything I didn't bookmark when it first came out on the DfE site is a complete bloody nightmare tbh.

Victoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Geogtastic
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 08:14:08 PM »
BST, I'm going on the basis of what it says on the AQA website - the pages for GCSE specs A and B both say that they count towards EBacc, and the the page for the AQA Certificate (iGCSE) says that it doesn't yet.

Judith R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 08:28:11 PM »
We do AQA A too, and in common with pretty well everyone do 6 units.
I'm hoping that there won't be too many changes.
Judging by the changes to AQA B we may be in luck, as we already have to do a range of physical and human topics.
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts

edge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 09:04:01 PM »
As far as I have been told (by AQA directly) there are very minor changes to spec A (to meet SPAG guidelines basically) and spec B will now have two units not three, with both current unit topics being made compulsory (a whole new topic) and unit 2 and 3 going into one exam but not changing.  Who knows where the extra time will come from?!
Head of Geography
Co-Chair of GA Secondary Phase Committee

HB100

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 09:10:12 PM »
Still waiting for information from WJEC B - really frustrated!!!

annelogie

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 09:20:06 PM »
Still waiting for Edexcel B too

JDi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 09:38:33 PM »
I see from the update email sent today that Edexcel have re-submitted further changes for both A and B specs.  It states minor changes for A and more detailed changes to B.....the whole thing continues to be a farce!!

Blue Square Thing

• View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 10:03:38 PM »
BST, I'm going on the basis of what it says on the AQA website - the pages for GCSE specs A and B both say that they count towards EBacc, and the the page for the AQA Certificate (iGCSE) says that it doesn't yet.

Cheers - fwiw I **think** the Edexcel and CIE flavours of the IGCSE might be allowed to be counted towards Gove Tables, although quite how Edexcel managed to swing that one I still haven't been able to get out of the DfE (although I'm thinking of making myself and increasing nuisance to them about it). The AQA one, because it's new, would never be included in that I think.

As for extra time - well, isn't that what those extra compulsory after school lessons until 6pm are going to be for? Well, that and to provide free childcare...

lol2806

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 08:06:37 AM »
I'm supposed to start teaching GCSE content next week  :(

Simon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 04:24:23 PM »
Thanks to those for sharing your thoughts. Not only is the time frame insane, I'm also concerned there will be a number of departments who will miss this completely and head off into their teaching come September completely unaware.

I've emailled John Lyon at GA HQ and a friend of mine sits on the NUT education commitee and has already raised it with them on our behalf. Sadly I think the ship has sailed :(

I'll keep you posted with anything I hear back.

blanchflower

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 05:17:48 PM »
Are there any specifications out there that are accredited ? I've written directly to ofqual through their website and  received a reply indicating no idea of timescale....

Yosemitelover

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 07:23:21 PM »
WJEC A has been accredited.

anything