Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Prototype outstanding lessons

Author Topic: Prototype outstanding lessons  (Read 3051 times)

HB100

• View Profile
Prototype outstanding lessons
« on: March 20, 2012, 08:14:33 PM »

As part of some CPD I am getting to visit other Humanities Faculties to gain experience and share in new ideas (see my other thread).

One thing I saw today was a Faculty preparing a bank of prototype 'good with outstanding' or 'outstanding lessons' that on a no notice inspection they can use with very little stress or prep.  they were basically creating:

1. New knowledge lesson
2. Consolidation lesson
3. Past paper practise lesson

I thought this seemed a great plan. Obviously they can be used anyway, not just because there is a visit - but it may help less confident staff who would otherwise go to pieces.

Was wondering if people had any thoughts or would share strategies they would use to deliver 1 to 3 above.  I will happily share my end result once my new team are in place.

Any thoughts???

Kate Russell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Staffordshire Learning Net for Geography
Re: Prototype outstanding lessons
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 08:45:00 PM »
Great in principle and I can quite see why schools are planning ways of "jumping through the hoops".

It is also really good to get a grasp of what outstanding looks like.

Without wishing to put a dampener on things, I would like to issue a warning. One of the features of the new framwork is a notion of "typicality." Ofsted will be trying to judge whether the lessons they are observing are "typical" in the school, by asking pupils, looking at books and so on - so do ensure that the bank of lessons are not just "one offs" as you are likely to be found out!

It is possible for Ofsted to see good/outstanding lessons during the inspection, but to judge teaching as satisfactory - becasue of the mis-match between what they see on the day and what normally happens.

HB100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 01:31:06 PM »
I understand but I think they were planning it as a confidence booster when you go to pieces because they are here ! Stopping people going blank I suppose!

Graham

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 06:59:01 PM »

Absolutely agree with Kate- recent school that have been Ofsteded have mentioned 'typicality'
Ofsted inspectors are no longer sitting at the back but are far more active in checking work/books, looking at progress. asking students 'Is this a typical lesson?' and if not, what are they 'typically' like.
I can see that the idea of a set of outstanding lessons might be a good idea- however, you need to be able to put all the resources and ideas into practice.
Senior Assistant Headteacher.
Line Manager-Newman Sixth Form College
Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Hove
C.Geog
GASQM 'Centre of Excellence'

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 10:33:40 AM »
Given some of the things I've heard from three local schools done in by Ofsted recently, I've more or less decided to stop worrying about any criteria they might have and concentrate on teaching lessons that I'd want my kids in. From what I can gather that's just as good as any overly structured approach.

I do think there's some validity to all the approaches you've suggested - and so long as you use them every so often (once or twice a half term) as part of regular teaching then I think that's probably a Good Thing - and something which is potentially whipoutable when the suits arrive. I'm doing something similar in that I'll have a set of 30 minute knowledge work (based on the What do you know grid) that I want to do twice a half term with each group - on different topics each time obviously...

I think that's a useful thing to have in my lessons (which are ICT remember and which might often be very skill-led) and I genuinely think I want to teach them more about computers and their history and so on anyway. I'll have a past paper lesson every half term as well (or 30 minutes of it anyway) linked with the same idea. And I think I'm going to have a Big Write every half term as well - give them some extended writing task for a whole (100 minute) lesson - certainly in Years 7 & 8 (which we're getting new to us from September). Again, I think I'd want my kids to be doing that sort of stuff every now and again in their ICT lessons - and it'll all be ICT/Computing themed (if I can think of enough stuff anyway...).

But if Ofsted turn up unannounced and I'm in the middle of making movies or something then they'll continue doing that as far as I'm concerned.

Oh, I forgot the anecdote: Ofsted inspection in the last 4 weeks. Science teacher doing a graph in a lesson. Criticised because "that's Maths" by inspector. I genuinely don't think you can win against that sort of attitude - hence I just want to teach nice lessons and not worry about any tickbox bs.

Obviously only literacy matters just now.
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

briggsy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:44:26 PM »
Would it be beneficial to have some sort of "what an outstanding lesson looks like" guidance which could be used to assist with planning rather than "use this lesson".  The guidance could, I guess, be applied to all lessons... not just when Ofsted arrive, and therefore everyone would be outstanding all of the time.
Sounds fairly straightforward when you write it down.  Does anyone know what an outstanding lesson looks like?  I might need to make myself some guidance...

HB100

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 08:48:21 PM »
That's I suppose what I am getting at - that in every scheme of work each of these would appear so not to be one offs but make more explicit the best ingredients to use! 

Graham

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 04:56:35 AM »

How about 10 top tips to Outstanding for staff
Senior Assistant Headteacher.
Line Manager-Newman Sixth Form College
Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Hove
C.Geog
GASQM 'Centre of Excellence'

SBW2009

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 11:55:18 AM »
Hi we are doing something similar.

On each topic there will be an "outstanding lesson" of rescoures which can be used at any time, however within that lesson there will be activities that we do regularly so hopefully pupils will able to say that its a normal lesson as essentially it will be just with a few extra bits - if that makes sense.

I fall apart in lesson observations and I know that - if anything the kids will probably say "its normally better"!

What ever they want to see if what they will see - having worked in a school just out of special measures, its quiet clear thats what happens!!!

steve piggot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 08:31:36 PM »
Gove in a speech last week explained that no notice inspections might need to give notice the day before to ensure the head is in the school.
Thought might be relevant to this post
Deputy Head
ex Head of Geography and Humanities