Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Stressed out - options evening - any ideas??

Author Topic: Stressed out - options evening - any ideas??  (Read 5460 times)

HB100

• View Profile
Stressed out - options evening - any ideas??
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:44:46 PM »
I know this comes up every year but ours is next week and what with loads of staff off I am really struggling with ideas of what to do. We will be in a busy hall 'marketplace' style with colleges and other subjects. I have two tables and some backing boards.  I have power for laptop and have a slide show ready of pics from trips.

Any suggestions of what to put out/display would be fab. 

Am really worried this year as 4 of my Y9 option groups have had supply since October due to staff absence. 

Thanks in advance - any enthusiastic Geographers bored next Wednesday would be made most welcome  ;D

Judith R

• View Profile
Re: Stressed out - options evening - any ideas??
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 09:30:23 PM »
Wish I could join you!  ;)
Do you have students there to help? We often find they're the best ambassadors - and make sure they're wearing 'geographer' badges from the GA!
How about having fieldwork equipment out to go with the photos? Could you borrow a 'mannequin' to dress it up in waterproofs etc.
How about a competition to go with it eg treasure hunt on OS map of where you visit, with 6 figure refs to locate the spot? If you had some spare maps you could give them as prizes.
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts

hre99

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:31:44 PM »
You've probably got something like this - but just in case:

http://www.4shared.com/file/8SiYMYUy/choose_geog_09.html

Its a small leaflet on why choose geog in relation to jobs you can do with geog - based on the RGS stuff, ideas from people here, but also what students I've taught have really gone on to do. 

I've a movie to go with it and a display, but I'm guessing they'd be no good in a small space and no sound - let me know if they'd be any use.

Hope it goes well!

HB100

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:32:06 PM »
Love it! Will get some kids and a model - maybe a kid dressed for Geography!!!

HB100

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 09:32:36 PM »
The movie would be brilliant - yes please!!!

Judith R

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 09:36:26 PM »
Just thought - have you got the leaflets from the GA - they look dead professional - you can be sure no othe dept will be giving out anything like that.
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts

NT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 09:48:40 PM »
I would also go into their lessons (swop with the supply?) and play the usual - 'Geog matters' etc BEFORE options evening, or maybe do an assembly? Discuss their progress and how proud you are of them for working without their usual teacher. I would really play up that Geographers have the greatest employability and use GA careers sheets - something parents are likely to look at. Can you also arrange a taster session for GCSE?

Victoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Geogtastic
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 09:52:46 PM »
Display-wise, I have details of the outline of the course and various things from the RGS careers material that Val Vannet modified a couple of years ago http://www.rgs.org/NR/rdonlyres/41AC0A0D-F2E7-43E9-AD4E-FEB8AFF3B98B/0/valsppt.pdf, then examples of exam papers, controlled assessment work from last year, textbooks and resources, and various bits and pieces of student work (including exercise books, sustainable settlement designs, papier mache drainage basin models...).

Not sure if you'll have enough time to organise now, but we had an RGS Geography Ambassador come to our Options Evening (she's actually a former student) - she was brilliant and students really enjoyed the opportunity to hear about GCSE Geography from a students' perspective.  Where are you based?

hre99

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2012, 10:21:43 PM »
Here is the movie -

http://www.4shared.com/video/E9AvNG34/Jobs_for_Geogs_Y9_-_hre_09.html

We mostly used it in lessons during options to get them thinking beyond what the course was about.

I won't keep it there too long as I know I need to remove or acknowledge some of the the creatives. I will do this immediately. If you use it please turn the sound off. I will replace it with a creative commons version.

Helen

Love the mannequin idea - just wondering how you could dress up a few others to promote the more glamorous (or not) aspects of geography  ;)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 10:29:52 PM by hre99 »

GZT

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2012, 10:24:01 PM »
What about A3 size examples of exam questions you know the kids may be able to do comfortably. We put out higher and foundation examples. Got a great flyer once from someone on SLN. Reasons to take Geography GCSE and famous geographers etc. We also turn a data projector on its side and project promo movie on to ceiling. It is low enough for everyone to see it in the classroom we are given.

Yorkie girl

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 07:10:49 AM »
One of the most popular activities on our open evening is a table with maps of the school and local area going back over 150 years with the question 'Can you find your house?. We combine this with aerial photos of our town and people love searching for their house and other known landmarks on them.

HB100

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 03:02:46 PM »
I love you all - thanks!!

SCD

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 05:48:33 PM »
The geography movie is fantastic - I love it thank you and will be using it for both my year 9 & 11 - how inspiring   :D

lizzie1

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 06:02:57 PM »
THis year we had volcano models, both paper mache and the montserrat fold up ones on display. We also had plasticene coastal features etc. it shows the fun side. I also had a student book with the pop up coastal defences on display.

Thankyou for all the above SLNers!!

also a few dishes of sweets kept people there and chatting :)
Head Of Humanities

htdavies

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 09:34:13 AM »
Some great ideas here  thanks, I will be using a few of them.  We have to promote GCSE geog during our lesson time with year 9.

You could offer free Fairtrade tasters of biscuits, sweets or orange juice to encourage pupils to your stall.  Fairtrade fortnight starts this Monday, there are lots of resources available on the Fairtrade foundation website, http://www.fairtrade.org.uk/resources/default.aspx   some can just be downloaded. This year's promotional clip for Fairtrade is here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J60mvcp_Q_E

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:39:18 AM by htdavies »