Author Topic: Teach Short course GCSE Geography from January?  (Read 2359 times)

Gem1983

• View Profile
Teach Short course GCSE Geography from January?
« on: December 16, 2011, 11:50:27 AM »
Hi all

I am looking for some advice, I have been asked by our SLT to run Short Course Geography GCSE for our most able students from January, with the exam being in June/July. Does anyone teach Short course and if so which spec do you follow? Also how much time do you think is needed realistically? I currently have 3 lessons a week with them. SLT have said they are willing to give me extra time (Dont know how they will do this) They are also willing to give me a residential etc, to complete controlled assessment.

Any advice greatfully received. (Nice thing to spring on me as I break up for Xmas)

Gemma  :-[

Victoria

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Geogtastic
Re: Teach Short course GCSE Geography from January?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 08:12:03 PM »
We used to have a short course group alongside the full course - was OCR (old spec C).  It was over two years and it tended to be the less able who did it.  As far as I know, the only short course now offered at my school is RS - last couple of years it's been done in an hour a week over two years, this year the Year 10s have two hours a week and will do all of it this year - there isn't any controlled assessment though.

I'd say it was probably doable with very able students in 3 hours a week, but I would question the educational benefits of this for the students.  Which year group is it?  Are they choosing to do this or having it forced upon them?

Gem1983

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 10:12:14 PM »
Forced upon them. Basically they choose a BTEC subject which they've now finished so need something to do. We are expecting orated from february onwards so I think SLT are worried as if they don't do anything there's no stretching of them.

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 09:20:24 AM »
Is a lesson an hour? 3 hours a week - hmm, that'd be pushing it, depending on their ability. With 20 hours of CA, for example, you'd be pushing it to get the rest done arguably.

AQA B has a one unit short course - it's in depth but it's the coasts or urban unit. Might be worth a look as at least you only have to teach them one set of stuff.
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

Gem1983

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »
Thanks BST. I'll have a look at that. We have a week in February when students come off of the normal timetable and do cross curricular work. SLT have said this week could be dedicated to the geography students for controlled assessment and residential.

Terry Jones

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 09:14:09 AM »
This is do able and it gives an opportunity to hook back in some of these able students who might go on to do A level Geography.  AQA A short course is 50% controlled Assessment and one unit of either coastal or urban.  If it is not too late to get on one of the CA moderation course - which gives plenty of hints and tips on how to make sure your students pass through the hoops to get maximum marks on this.  Good luck.
Head of Humanities and Director of Studies in a Special School for Dyslexics. 
Interests - sailing, mountain biking, caving, climbing, drinking.

michelle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 01:16:27 PM »
Gemma,
Can you let me know how you get on? I have a few able students who  could not choose Geog because it clashed with tech courses. I have spoken to them about doing the full course but having read your thead maybe the short course would be more achievable and less stressful...
m

lizzie1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 07:34:42 PM »
When I have finished the BTEC T&T I tend to teach them Workskills as our BTEC is aimed at Mid to low ability and they can get another GCSE from that.
Head Of Humanities

anything