Author Topic: Fieldwork Centres - can we pool knowledge?  (Read 8444 times)

Chris LS

• View Profile
Fieldwork Centres - can we pool knowledge?
« on: October 22, 2011, 11:11:23 AM »
Hello,

I'd like to complile an up-to-date database of all the different fieldwork centres/bases available around the UK, and maybe further afield as well (eg. Rayburn, Discover the World, Barcelona etc). I don't think a detailed database of UK Fieldwork Centres already exists on the GA or GTT sites, unless I've overlooked them?

There are all the obvious and well-known ones such as all the FSC Centres, the Cranedale Centre etc etc, but there must be 100 or more smaller, less well-known Centres that provide a good base and/or tutors for fieldwork.

So, if you know of or have experience of a field study centre, and could you enter the name (and ideally contact e-mail / address etc), and maybe a few words about your experience there / recommendations etc, that'd be great. 

Thanks!

Stephen Schwab

• View Profile
    • Visit the New Geography Teacher's Discussion Group by Clicking Here!
Re: Fieldwork Centres - can we pool knowledge?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2011, 11:21:59 AM »
Now thats a good idea, I can confirm that NST in Amalfi {Claudio} is well organised & responsive to your field work needs.

Can we call this Plumb [for a] Centre? ;) Kate?
GA Consultant.
Teaching and Learning Consultant.
GA SPC Member.

HB100

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2011, 04:03:31 PM »
Malham Tarn field centre is excellent - staff and food are amazing. Great for geog, geology and biology. Accommodation good too.

GB geographer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 05:12:10 PM »
Might be best to put up a Google Doc and let people edit it as a collaborative effort...
Head of Geography at King's Ely (Junior) & freelance geographer - CGeog

Stephen Schwab

• View Profile
    • Visit the New Geography Teacher's Discussion Group by Clicking Here!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 05:20:25 PM »
Or it can sit up top with the other add-to threads.
GA Consultant.
Teaching and Learning Consultant.
GA SPC Member.

Kate Russell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Staffordshire Learning Net for Geography
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2011, 11:12:54 AM »
As yiou can see I have "stickied" this and hope lots will contribute.

If you wan to use my register as a starting point - feel free - its not just fiedl centres its firld visits.
http://www.sln.org.uk/geography/excel.htm

The Learning Outside the Classroom Quality Badge site should also provide some pointers http://lotcqualitybadge.org.uk/

Chris LS

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2011, 03:20:40 PM »
Kate,
Your register is superb, a really comprehensive reference bank.  I'll check through all the the links and info. on your original version  to see if anything has changed, then update with any new Centres or details from lotc quality badge, and e-mail a copy back to you.  You saved me several hours work here - many thanks!

ElliC

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2011, 11:03:09 AM »
Hi
There is a RSPB site just outside Tamworth called Middleton Lakes (its kind of new but i know a few schools have been there now) which do excellent day and half day field work on a massive range of stuff. They will tailor stuff to suit you and your syllabus.
I am an educational volunteer there when I am not teaching and can vouch that it is really fab!
Elli C

Nik

• former bfc53
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 09:46:44 AM »
FSC Castle Head, Grange-over-Sands - just outside the Lake District National Park.
http://www.field-studies-council.org/castlehead

Took a small group of year 8 there at half term.

Positives:
Very accessible location from M6 and for fieldwork sites
Nice centre with good rooms, clean showers, excellent food, plenty of outdoor kit to borrow to save kids needing their own, good social space for pupils
Very good communications re admin and risk assessment before visit
Excellent level of teaching and outdoor activity instruction

GoegIntheNews

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2011, 06:13:33 PM »
On the RGS-IBG website is the World Register of Field Centres which identifies sites for environmental research, on any topic, anywhere in the world.
The register is searchable and centres can also be viewed via Google Maps. It is not the definitive list, but provides a good starting point.

The centres range from small independent field camps to large long-term international facilities. The only criterion for inclusion in the register is that centres welcome international visitors who wish to undertake fieldwork at the centre, whether scientists, students, teachers, school pupils or others.

Centres can also be added to the register.
http://www.rgs.org/OurWork/Fieldwork+and+Expeditions/World+Register+of+FieldCentres/World+Register+of+Field+Centres.htm

For more information you can also email go@rgs.org

Sue Jackson

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 08:33:22 AM »
FSC Castle Head, Grange-over-Sands - just outside the Lake District National Park.
http://www.field-studies-council.org/castlehead

Took a small group of year 8 there at half term.

Positives:
Very accessible location from M6 and for fieldwork sites
Nice centre with good rooms, clean showers, excellent food, plenty of outdoor kit to borrow to save kids needing their own, good social space for pupils
Very good communications re admin and risk assessment before visit
Excellent level of teaching and outdoor activity instruction

I can second that! I am there now with 23 A level students (AQA A level) & plan to re-book.

geographista

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 08:39:13 PM »
I take my lot to Castle Head every year! Totally agree with the comments.

We also use Overstrand Kingswood Centre. Great accommodation, coastal courses and options to do outdoor activities too (like jacobs ladder etc)

Sarah
Head of Geography

nik986

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 03:03:26 PM »
Nettlecombe Court (FSC) - outstanding location and service. Great fieldwork opportunities and the kids love it. Food is good too! Highly recommend.

Also - Llanrug outdoor ed centre http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/outdoor-education-centres/llanrug-oec.aspx

Does both outdoor ed and Geography courses (or a mixture of both) great course tutor, decent food and you are 'in the wilds'. Best i've been to!

Sue Jackson

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 06:29:38 PM »
THe price quoted by FSC for 3 days next November mean that I will no-longer be re-booking! £165 plus transport! Not going to happen I am afraid! Back to DIY teacher led fieldcourse.....

nik986

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 01:06:01 PM »
I can recommend Monkton Wyld Court in Dorset also for teacher-led fieldwork. Great centre, healthy food and a great location.

anything