Author Topic: Ofsted coming Wednesday and Thursday - help needed.  (Read 7224 times)

MarinaRuiz

• View Profile
Ofsted coming Wednesday and Thursday - help needed.
« on: October 04, 2011, 02:09:55 AM »
We also got the call this morning, Ofsted are coming this Wednesday and Thursday..seems they are popular days!

This is my first ofsted and i am quite worried about two lessons in particular. They are both double
Year 7 map skills - map symbols and scale
Year 8 coasts - cliff collapse

Please does anybody have any interesting, creative ideas? I want to make a good impression and my brain cells are how you say? frizzled, with GCSE lesson planning.

Thank you in advance,

Marina

HB100

• View Profile
Re: Ofsted coming Wednesday and Thursday - help needed.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 06:51:57 AM »
For cliff collapse I used katharine's cake lesson - email me and I will send you the PowerPoint - basically using a layer cake they in groups demonstrate cliff collapse - write a speech, draw a model and then peer assess each others presentations - give each kid a 1 and they put it on the best cake at end of lesson to show the winner!

Map skills - my suggestion - but will think more, would be break into chunks, symbol quizzes (have you the map flashcards?) map work, testing knowledge - then peer assessing, set each other symbols questions - break lesson with say animaniacs vid - number of places they can remember??

Onto scale - again - teacher led explanations- keep short, something afl based - map work - good solid map work!! Followed by some group/peer/self assessment.

Will get my thinking cap on - no doubt more SLNers will help too - good luck xxxxxx

fred

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 08:24:14 AM »
Map symbol bingo is a good plenary for mapskills www.geointeractive.co.uk/contribution/ppfiles/Symbol%20Bingo.ppt

michelle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 12:32:02 PM »
Marina
I had an inspector in last week we were dvised to not do map skills as a stand alone lesson. Rather we ask students to plan a route, started with as the crow flies, they have to specify features along the route and their partner had to identify their destination. You can then move onto curved line distance. You just need a good selection of OS maps :-)

fred

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 02:05:13 PM »
For some cliff collapse stuff on Holbeck Hall have a look here
http://www.tes.co.uk/ResourceDetail.aspx?storyCode=6069628

MarinaRuiz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 02:55:18 PM »
Thank you all so much for your replies, one thing I love about this site, it is guaranteed that fellow geographers will reply and help :) 

Thank you Michelle for that advice, I will take it on board and see what I can do. The Holbeck resources look great, as does the cake layering idea.

If I can just get some advice on a year 9 lesson i've planned. It is more than likely I could be observed with them. It is based on the effects of Global Warming on Britain..I have categorised the activities into 'Must do, Should do and Could do'.

Thank you, Marina

GB geographer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 04:27:57 PM »
I made a Teachers TV video on Global Warming - can be viewed here: http://www.schoolsworld.tv/videos/degrees-of-change
Based around a poem specially written by Mark Cowan
Head of Geography at King's Ely (Junior) & freelance geographer - CGeog - OS GetOutside Champion 2018/19

Stephen Schwab

• View Profile
    • Visit the New Geography Teacher's Discussion Group by Clicking Here!
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 06:54:57 PM »
Alan I never knew, I thought was the Teachers TV classroom  poem user.

Good luck Marina!
GA Consultant.
Teaching and Learning Consultant.
GA SPC Member.

missjnewman

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 09:13:37 PM »
Advice I got from an ex-inspector was that they want to see pupils move around the classroom and that task completion is not important but plenary is. Ensure you carry out a good assessment for learning activity at the end to see if the lesson pbjectives have been met.

one plenary i use is to give each pupil a post-it, they write their names on it, then they place it on a scale which is projected on the board(the higher up they put it the more they have understood the lesson objectives) I then get the pupils who have put their names the highest or to expalin to those who have put it on the lowest. 

hope this helps

MarinaRuiz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2011, 09:40:30 PM »
The video is a very good resource, thank you very much!

has anybody used the 'KWL' grid for a starter/plenary activity?
 I have a question about the 'starter' activity. Is it compulsory? Will it be on the Ofsted criteria? Our lessons are literally 47 mins long. Take away settling in time/late comers etc, I have 40-45 mins. Is this a plausible arguement for not having one? Or should I do one?

Judith R

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2011, 10:26:38 PM »
I'm not basing these comments on what Ofsted prefer as not had one recently, but I prefer to use the idea of powerful 'initial stimulus material' which we might then discuss and get enquiry questions / learning objectives from rather than a 'starter' (though they may be the same thing!).
I think the key thing is to hook them in and create a wish to learn more - gives the lesson purpose and momentum.
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts

Stephen Schwab

• View Profile
    • Visit the New Geography Teacher's Discussion Group by Clicking Here!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2011, 11:13:39 PM »
KWL means :o please?
GA Consultant.
Teaching and Learning Consultant.
GA SPC Member.

MarinaRuiz

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2011, 11:17:53 PM »
K (What I know)
W (What I want to know)
L (What I have learnt)

Students fill out the first two at the start and last one at the end. It's in a table form.

MarinaRuiz

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2011, 01:05:38 PM »
I wanted to thank you all for your help and let you know I wasn't observed. All that preparation..but i'm not complaining :)

I have my lesson plans and resources for these year 7,8 and 9 lessons if anybody would like a copy.

Marina

anything