Author Topic: Subject inspection next week...  (Read 10539 times)

Evlinda

• View Profile
Subject inspection next week...
« on: January 13, 2011, 10:09:42 PM »
Hi all

Got the call today that we are having a subject inspection next Thursday and Friday.  :-\
Not too worried as our teaching and results are 'oustanding' to use Ofsted language but I just want to get all the other stuff right in my role as HoD and that I have all the paperwork they might want to look at.

Went through one at my last school so know part of the drill, although I wasn't HoD then. Just wondered if anyone can offer me any advice at all? Had a meeting with my Head after school- very supportive. Meeting with my dept being scheduled ASAP, usual things like lessons plans, book marking/ sampling etc being done as I type.

Big ask- also have been meaning to re-vamp my handbook for the last year- need to do it this weekend... anyone got one I can look at for some inspiration?

Thanks!
x
Head of Geography
2nd in charge of Humanities faculty

David Rogers

• View Profile
    • Blog
Re: Subject inspection next week...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2011, 07:40:07 AM »
First off - best of luck!

Others may disagree, but I wouldn't worry too much about getting your dept handbook up and running for Ofsted.  In the two subject inspections that I have been involved with (one as HoD), they wanted to see the curriculum, talk about the development plans, tracking and monitoring  and the SEF. I would focus on these documents.

Also, it's well worth looking at the focus (If any) that they will be looking for: e.g. citizesnship, literacy, ICT etc. Make sure that some lessons over the two days have this in. 

Last bit of advice is that the observations last for 20 ish minutes, so it's important to think about this in planning. e.g. if they come in for the second half, make sure that the inspector can speak to pupils and/or see progress.
@davidErogers
Assistant Headteacher and pedagogic trouble maker.

Stephen Schwab

• View Profile
    • Visit the New Geography Teacher's Discussion Group by Clicking Here!
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 07:56:17 AM »
I fully agree with David, wet ink in a handbook is easy to spot, go with the curriculum and your devlopment plans rather than spend time this weekend on handbook matters.
Their focus is v.important to know too.
Be sure you drive them, be sure they see what you are proud of, i'm sure you will be great and come out of it stronger and wiser.
Its a positive not a negative experience. :)
All the best.
GA Consultant.
Teaching and Learning Consultant.
GA SPC Member.

Paul

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2011, 01:24:05 PM »
After having a local authority inspection in the style of OFSTED the other week i would make sure that all of your lessons contain:

- Peer/ self assessment
- Group work
- ICT
- Opportunities for every group of students to demonstrate exceptional progress
- Opportunities for you to prove learning at every ability level
- High quality and varied questioning of pupils at each ability level
- As many other AFL techniques as possible to demonstrate learning throughout every stage of the lesson.
- Clear objectives that are learning focused and that you return to throughout the lesson.
- Displays on the wall that demonstrate learning

I'm sure there are lots of other things that people can contribute

Good luck!

Paul

Paul Cornish
Director of Humanities and Head of Geography
The Coopers' Company and Coborn School

Evlinda

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 04:58:22 PM »
Thank you very much for that great advice and for the luck!

Anyone else who has advice to contribute please do!!!!!!
Head of Geography

HB100

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2011, 05:08:29 PM »
Just wishing you all the best. Having never experienced one myself I can only offer hugs!  After the event would you be kind enough to share a brief "Things I wish I had known....!" or what they did/asked. 

Good luck xx

Stephen Schwab

• View Profile
    • Visit the New Geography Teacher's Discussion Group by Clicking Here!
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 08:02:21 AM »
I agree witjh HB100, please do.
GA Consultant.
Teaching and Learning Consultant.
GA SPC Member.

Evlinda

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 07:48:11 PM »
I shall of course post something in terms of feedback!

I do want to plea again for some help with the handbook as my head is insisting on seeing an updated version on Wed afternoon- so i do have to look at it....  :(

Anyone who has got anything they could email me would be an absolute star!

Thanks
Head of Geography

Kate Russell

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Staffordshire Learning Net for Geography
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 09:09:46 PM »
You have mail (but not aout the handbook - sorry!)

Evlinda

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2011, 05:39:24 PM »
Hi

Well after a grueling week we had the subject inspection on Thursday and Friday. Firstly the result was fantastic- we got Outstanding across all 4 areas (Achievement, Leadership and management, Curriculum and Teaching & Learning)!!! So obviously we are very very very pleased!

In terms of advice/ tips:

Handbook- I know people said don't worry about that but my Head was insistent I updated it and probably a jolly good job I did as he went through every page and quizzed me on bits in my meeting with him- so make sure this is up to date. It was a job I had been meaning to do for the last year but unsurprisingly it kept being pushed back as more important things needed to be done- but I would advise that you think about it sooner rather than later because if i had then the stress levels would have been considerably less this week as all my work on Tuesday and Wednesday was on this.

Make sure your SEF is as detailed with information as possible. He didn't spend too long talking about data in our meeting (less than I thought he might) as it was all there in black and white with very detailed analysis. Individual teacher ownership was a big focus and he seemed impressed that they did so much of their own analysis of each year group (we have to analyse yr 7-13 in our SEF) and then i collated it.

Our Head bought in a supply teacher for the whole week for me to use as I saw fit. This meant I could cover myself for the umpteen meetings I had and give me time to do a lot of little jobs ready for the inspector. I also gave each member of my dept 2-3 periods during the week of cover so they could get photocopying/ planning/ tidying done. I think they found this really useful. I would really ask for this if you ever get the phone call- and the key thing was that I was allowed to do the supply teacher's timetable so it really benefited us. I was also asked which supply teacher I wanted so I chose a lady who was well known in our school and was fab- couldn't have made it through the week without her.

We also asked for the school to stay open a bit later every night so we could get all the jobs done we needed to.

A couple of things he specifically asked about were obviously pupil progress- he liked the tracking sheets/ grids in the front of their books and folders and that every pupil knew their target and how to progress. (As well as the monitoring we do of them).
He was also keen on pupil voice and what we did to utilize this- so i made sure there were plenty of examples and analysis of this (fieldwork, other visits, new sow/ units etc).
Fieldwork- i drew up a plan of what fieldwork we do and how it has changed over the last 4 years since I've been HOD at the school- for outstanding there needs to be a regularity, range of places visited and progression in the work and follow up done from yr 7-13.

Work sampling- he looked at my notes on this and did compare this to the work samples he looked at so make sure you keep photocopies of the feedback you give staff.

Geography in the News- he asked all the groups of pupils he met about what was going on in the news that was Geography related- I had told them he might ask- so they had thank fully done their HW (as well as talking about what they've been studying in class). In the one Travel and Tourism lesson he went to the member of staff being observed did a plenary on the issues in Tunisia which he specifically commented on to me as being impressed by.

Go through the subject specific criteria for a Geog inspection and highlight the sections where you think you are (annotate this with where to find the evidence)- I then copied this for him and gave it to him.

This probably shouldn't be last but little gestures of support for your dept- my head of fac and I wrote cards for each of the dept on Monday thanking them in advance for their support and offering our help, I also bought them all a little box of chocs (in case they needed a sugar boost during the week!) and I made sure they knew they could ring me at any time for help or advice. I have also got them a little something and a thank you card to give them all tomorrow.
I have also bought little chocs for other people who supported us e.g. cleaners, care takers, office staff and some for the staff room as so many people offered help and found things for me at the drop of a hat or volunteered to do our break duties or take any 'challenging' pupils if we needed it (which we didn't), some offered to come in early or stay late with us to do copying/ tidying or cutting up card sorts etc- many of these people we didn't call on but the sheer fact that people offered made a big difference. A member of my fac in the History dept bought in croissants and coffee on Friday morning for us! and little bars of choc kept appearing in our pigeon holes from various members of staff! It all just consolidated for me what a fabulously supportive staff there is at my school- new staff who come to my school comment on it all the time, but it is at really stressful time like that, that it really shows.

There are probably a few other things which I can't think of as i have purposefully switched my brain off school- mode this weekend so I will add them if I think of them.

Hope this has been of help!
Eva x
Head of Geography

HB100

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2011, 05:50:02 PM »
Eva

WELL DONE!!! and thanks for this summary, extremely useful for those of us awaiting a call.  I would love to come and work in your school, it sounds superb and the idea of supply was very useful.

Thanks for taking the time to write this!

Plene

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 06:09:07 PM »
Well done - very useful feedback. Thanks

Kim

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 07:19:01 PM »
Congratulations on an excellent result. Make sure you give yourself time to recover!!!! :D

KTW

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 07:31:26 PM »
Well done and thanks for writing all of that. Hope you had a big glass (or two) of something on Friday night?!
More and more of us will get these inspections won't we with Geog having been elevated up the ranks of importance once again?! Looking forward to it already...

Judith R

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 07:32:59 PM »
Well done - thanks for the feedback with plenty of food for thought for the rest of us.
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts