Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
Downloading from BBC iplayer!

Author Topic: Downloading from BBC iplayer!  (Read 9339 times)

KTW

• Established Member
    • View Profile
Downloading from BBC iplayer!
« on: October 05, 2010, 05:43:53 PM »
Wow! You can now download from BBC iplayer!!! How great, when did that happen?!! Just downloaded the Horizon Oceans thing from last night, as forgot to Sky+ it! (Was it any good?!)

Tris

• View Profile
Re: Downloading from BBC iplayer!
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 06:05:22 PM »
It has always been the case
They are still timecoded though so will stop working after 30 days

Kim

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 07:30:56 PM »
Can that be done straight from your laptop?

KTW

• Established Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
OMG so actually even though I've downloaded it and put it onto my memory stick, it won't be playable after 30 days? Well that's no good then, I need to show it in May! Should have set Sky+ after all!!!

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:46:14 PM »
OMG so actually even though I've downloaded it and put it onto my memory stick, it won't be playable after 30 days? Well that's no good then, I need to show it in May! Should have set Sky+ after all!!!

Yep, that's the way the DRM stuff works.

Fwiw I'm not sure if you still need to download an app to run it as well - it may come self packaged these days. But, for instance, you may find you simply can't run it from a memory stick or other than on the computer you downloaded it to (please try though as I'd like to know!)
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

stevenreader

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 09:42:31 PM »
Unless you use a gadget like this which rips it for you to keep forever! Fairly decent file sizes as well.

Enjoy one and all....

http://po-ru.com/projects/iplayer-downloader/

Tris

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 09:55:30 PM »
Fwiw I'm not sure if you still need to download an app to run it as well - it may come self packaged these days. But, for instance, you may find you simply can't run it from a memory stick or other than on the computer you downloaded it to (please try though as I'd like to know!)

You can download it as wmv file or whatever so seems fairly easily transferable

lottee1000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 02:15:05 AM »
Yes, you don't need the iplayer desktop anymore, you can download as a wmv file. However, as soon as a new episode becmoe available, or after (about) a week, as far as I can tell, this becomes unavailable and you have to have the desktop app again for older episodes. And yes they do stop working after 30days, so you need some sort of screen capture program if you want to kepp them.
Jo

Noel Jenkins

• View Profile
    • Juicy Geography
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 12:22:43 PM »
... they do stop working after 30days, so you need some sort of screen capture program if you want to keep them.
Jo

Actually this isn't true. I've been effortlessly downloading and keeping iPlayer content using iPlayer Grabber on my Mac for over a year.
http://api.appcelerator.net/p/pages/app_page?token=w4m3NWq3

I see that there's a Windows version now (though I'm not sure whether the DRM code is stripped or not - I assume it is)

As far as I understand it you're downloading iPhone content. It's not as good as the high def version you get through the iPlayer, but perfectly acceptable for the resolutions of a digital projector and it lasts forever.

Hope this helps some people!

pigboy

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 08:50:50 PM »
Noel - Just a short note to say you are a star. I Player Grabber rocks!

Noel Jenkins

• View Profile
    • Juicy Geography
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010, 08:05:42 PM »
IGrabber has died following the latest BBC tweak. The only alternative I can find is http://tom-tech.com/iplayer_automator/iPlayer_Automator/Get_iPlayer_Automator.html (for Mac)

pigboy

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 07:10:36 PM »
OK, now that Iplayer Grabber is dead (sniff) and I realise that I am not buying a Mac anytime soon I have no alternative but to invest in a screen capture programme.
Anyone care to make any recommendations?

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 07:15:52 PM »
You may find some difficulties with screen capture stuff fwiw. Worth trying, but iirc I could only ever get it to work at small size and there are drm methods which can make life tricky for screen capture.

We use blueberry software's Bb Flashback Recorder which works fine - there's a paid version which allows you do a bit more with added labels and so on. I don't know if there's still a free version - I used that for a while (to produce ICT screen movies) and it was fine. I'll check and post the url back in a minute or two probably.

e2a: here you go, free version. Pips to use: http://www.bbsoftware.co.uk/BBFlashBack_FreePlayer.aspx

Obviously for audio you'd use Audacity because it's cool.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:18:49 PM by Blue Square Thing »
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday