Author Topic: Ecotourism Radio Prog  (Read 1658 times)

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
Ecotourism Radio Prog
« on: May 16, 2009, 02:28:21 PM »
More a has been than coming up, but this weeks Excess Baggage had some interesting bits in about conservation/ecotourism examples which I think could be worked up into good GCSE or A Level case studies which would be a bit different from the usual boring old ones.

Specifically dealt with a gorilla ecotourism/health project in Uganda and something on elephants in Thailand.

Podcastable for a while and on listen again of course.

Dr Gladys Kalema-Zikusoka is originally from Uganda’s capital Kampala. When she was at school she founded a wild life club and organised school trips to a national park where she first saw gorillas. Gladys is now a veterinary surgeon and the founder and CEO of Conservation through Public Health (CPH) which protects the mountain gorillas of Bwindi National Park in Uganda through improving the health of the humans of the area. It works to stem the spread of diseases between humans and animals.

The Elephant Conservation Network is a small non-government organization based in Kanchanaburi that works in partnership with local people in a number of regions dedicated to wild life in Western Thailand. It was founded in 1998 by Belinda Stewart-Cox and Jittin Ritthirat and became independent in 1999.

BBC Website

Conservation through Public Health
Bwindi national Park (Uganda Wildlife Authority)

Elephant Conservation Network
Salakpra Wildlife Sanctuary

Not sure the prog is useable directly, but it's a good starter for 10.
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

anything