Author Topic: Entry Level Geography  (Read 2079 times)

Andy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Entry Level Geography
« on: April 02, 2009, 08:42:57 AM »
jheath
Junior Member   posted 19 March 2009 09:44 AM             
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Does anybody know which boards are still running an Entry Level GCSE from sept 2009?
I was at a course with WJEC (they are not), but what about the others? It seems many are doing short courses instead?

IP: Logged

Tiddlywinks
Member   posted 19 March 2009 09:56 PM                 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm interested in Entry Level Geog too.
I wish I could enter a few of my students at entry level for the june exams. Or is entry level a completely different course?

edge
Member   posted 27 March 2009 08:25 PM                 
I use the ELC from AQA, OCR also have one. I was told that they are continuing under teh old specs (logical!?) next year. I have one candidate this year and two for next year. With AQA its all internal assessment (4 short pieces, very easy to do) so can be done anytime in the two years and submitted in Y11. Students in my school are taught in the same classes as GCSE groups rather than seperately so I will also enter them for the short course (occasionally full course) if they have been getting the odd F/G in end-of-unit tests. This years candidate will not be doing the GCSE, but one of the Y10 students has achieved a G in an end-of-unit test recently (2 Us prior to that!) so will enter her for both. This is allowed and they either get a GCSE grade or failing that an ELC grade. Very easy to administer for AQA - the teacher devised assessments can be on a range of topics and Zig Zag education produce a pack which includes tests written for this spec - I've used these and they even come with markschemes. The extenally assessed tests come direct from the board and I do these in exam conditions with my students when we do those topics. Its all done to enable candidates to achieve something so reading is allowed etc. Positive experience so far!

LindyM
Member   posted 27 March 2009 11:33 PM                 
You say entry level GCSE - do you mean entry Geography - the level 3 Nat curriculum equivalent or do you mean foundation GCSE?
The Foundation levels go this year - but so far as I know the entry level quals are still in operation - but will check that out

terryjones
Member   posted 29 March 2009 10:20 AM                 
Lindy - I dont understand what you mean 'The Foundation levels go this year -' The AQA A certainly has Foundation and Higher tier - i suspect the others do too.

LindyM
Member   posted 29 March 2009 12:58 PM                 
I must be mistaken then, but for Edexcel GCSE and IGCSE for the course starting Sept 2009, there is no longer a higher and a foundation paper. I guess this must be the case for WJEC too, and I had assumed, wrongly obviously, that this was part of the new cohort of exams all starting then. Apologies if I have caused confusion.

edge
Member   posted 29 March 2009 01:57 PM                 
As a subject I think geography remains in the tiered system for the new GCSEs. All four boards have both the higher and foundation tier. Tiering is not decided by the exam boards but by QCA I think.

LindyM
Member   posted 29 March 2009 03:33 PM                 
Apologies all. I knew the Edexcel IGCSE had gone from 2 to one - and on a quick read of the regular Edexcel paper had somehow got the wrong end of the stick. Its that loss of an hour's sleep that did it I'm sure