Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /var/sites/l/learningnet.co.uk/public_html/geography/schools/kingedward/Activ/AS rivers/functions.php on line 272
help with attainment levels

Author Topic: help with attainment levels  (Read 3196 times)

geojo

• View Profile
help with attainment levels
« on: May 19, 2010, 05:24:21 PM »
Hi
Just doing the reports for this year! Do we use the 'old' level descriptors from 2007 (level 4 - Exceptional Performance) or the new ones (the document says not to use them until 2011!) I am rather confused!!!
Also, can somebody tell me what level 'typical' pupils should be at in years 7, 8 and 9? Is it Level 4, 5 and 6?
Many thanks, Jo

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
Re: help with attainment levels
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 05:53:10 PM »
Tbh the differences between them are so relatively small that I don't think it matters - just go with whatever you have handy imo. I don't think you'd get anyone get all huffy over it!

No idea what the typical level is these days - 4/5/6 sounds about right but aren't they all supposed to make 2 levels progress a year now or something?? Again, I don't think it matters all that much.
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

Judith R

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:01:07 PM »
Don't panic - I think in theory it's 2 sub-levels a year, not 2 whole levels!
CGeog
Lead Practitioner for Teaching and Learning
Key Practitioner for Geography
@JudithRoberts

geojo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 06:02:47 PM »
Ah - thank-you. Will probably go with 4/5/6 then unless anyone knows any different/ Seems a bit low? Jo

Judith R

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 06:09:20 PM »
I'd have expected average year 7 being about 4a/5c, year 8 being about 5b/5a and year 9 6c/6b - but I'm quite a 'harsh' marker, and I'm aware that in some schools the majority of year 9 are being given levels 6 & 7. (not just able ones!)
CGeog
@JudithRoberts

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 07:04:17 PM »
I'd have expected average year 7 being about 4a/5c, year 8 being about 5b/5a and year 9 6c/6b - but I'm quite a 'harsh' marker, and I'm aware that in some schools the majority of year 9 are being given levels 6 & 7. (not just able ones!)

Fwiw I'll prolly give about 15 level 6s from 4 classes this year - although for ICT which is significantly harder to get a 6 in imo. No 7s - well, maybe 1 or 2. That's partly catchment I reckon.
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

Judith R

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 10:30:00 PM »
I very much doubt that they are level 7 whatever the catchment! I've given 2 level 7's to year 8 pupils - definite G&T.
CGeog
@JudithRoberts

Graham

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 04:32:27 AM »
Students should be making at least 2 levels of progress on average across the Key Stage and this score will depend on their Key Stage 2 entry in Year 7. Remember that the initial aim of the levels was 'best fit, professional teacher judgment at the end of a Key Stage'

Recent schools 'Ofsteded' have wanted three levels of progress to secure outstanding and significant levels of progress. It is very important to track different groups of students- e.g. FSM, CIC, SA, SA+

We have alll become obsessed with sub-level (a,b,c) and regular termly reporting on databases like SIMS. A very rough guide maybe to look at their English/ Science scores, but not a perfect match.

APP will hopefully support judgments better.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 04:35:34 AM by Graham »
Senior Assistant Headteacher.
Line Manager-Newman Sixth Form College
Cardinal Newman Catholic School, Hove
C.Geog
GASQM 'Centre of Excellence'

anything