Author Topic: AQA Controlled Assessment - Help needed  (Read 1543 times)

Melanie

• View Profile
AQA Controlled Assessment - Help needed
« on: April 07, 2010, 05:32:55 PM »
Hi

I wondered if anyone has put together some sort of 'booklet' for the AQA controlled assessment.  AQA advised this at a meeting I went to but I don't have time to start one from scratch and wondered if anyone has any ideas about things that could be included.  I plan for my students to do a rivers piece in June but haven't decided on the final details yet.  Anyone done theirs yet and if so do you have any advice?  How long does write up realistically take?

Mel
Melanie Collins

Head of Geography and Year 7

KateW

• Established Member
    • View Profile
Re: AQA Controlled Assessment - Help needed
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 10:32:56 PM »
Hi Melanie
We are doing AQA A - is that the same as you?
We did a 'mock' CA last Oct-Nov, and we're glad we did for our sake as it helped us get our heads round what would be required for the real thing (which we are doing at the mo) and raised some important issues. Even though we cut the mock timings by half, it was still quite a hard slog for the students, and as we're doing the real thing now we were only saying last week it seems like we've spent half the year doing some sort of CA! We prob won't do a mock next year...
Don't know what you mean by a 'booklet' - we produced a fieldwork booklet with data collection sheets etc in (no different from what we have always done) and students have been encouraged to collect their own data - some did so on the day, others have returned independently since. We have also issued each student with their own booklet in which they write ideas down, their research on key concepts, etc. We also produced advice sheets for the students on each section when we did the mock, and also produced powerpoints to help them with their Introduction, Methodology and Data Presentation... but that's it really!
As far as timing goes for the write-up, prepare for a shock - it takes ages. A typical 1 hour lesson, allowing time for log-in and log-out and a recap of what they've done and where they're heading, usually leaves about 40-45 mins max of actual CA logged time, sometimes less - considering they have 16 hours of this, we have about 22 lessons booked in the computer rooms...! My class has had 9 lessons so far, and we have averaged 38 mins of logged time per lesson!
Not sure if that helps?!

Kate

Melanie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2010, 04:42:18 PM »
Hi

Thanks for your words of advice.  I am looking to put together some sort of booklet to guide the students in what they need to do in each section really.  We are going to Wales at the end of June for 4 days and in that time my aim is to do the fieldwork and ALL the write-up so it's important they know what they are doing well before then.  Saying that though, we are doing the physical exam this year and still haven't got through all the teaching for that yet so time is running out.  I don't know if the write-up will get done in the field trip but since I am not allowed any time out of lessons in school and also very limited access to ICT in school, I figured this was the best/only way.  I want to get the whole thing out of the way before the summer break but that may not be possible given what you are saying about how long it takes.

I think I need to get my thinking cap on a bit more now and come up with some ideas.
Melanie Collins

Head of Geography and Year 7

cu

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 01:21:05 PM »
I contacted our advisor about a 'booklet' before we started our CA- not alllowed one for the write up, but you can use a Ppt and give them a guidance sheet on what to include in an analysis, conc, eval, so long as it doesn't apply to your hypothesis in particular.

aberrantbee

• ollismark
    • View Profile
    • AQA A Ning
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 03:09:26 PM »
Just starting our CA on return to school.  All of my sheets from the previous spec [OCR A] are in a box net folder http://www.box.net/files#/files/0/f/18352288/My_Shared_Files which you re more than welcome to download from.  The students have had a free choice in the past but there is a bias towards fluvial studies.

Alternatively you can access these through the aberrant field site http://www.aberrantbee.4t.com/.  It would be great to see anything you produce on the Ning, Mark.
Head of Geography
Teacher of Outdoor Ed
Father, Outdoorsman, Fettler
Twitter=ollismark

swhitch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 12:20:18 PM »
Hi

If you did not make it to the GA Conference this year (neither did I)..... there is lots of guidance from Martin Weeden via this link http://www.geography.org.uk/cpdevents/annualconference/derby2010/#W42 with specific detail here http://www.geography.org.uk/download/GA_Conf10WeedenMartin.pdf

The documents are thorough and very informative showing just what a total foul up of the education system this Controlled Assessment has become. Only the state of the Wembley pitch is more of a fisasco however at least there the conditions are the same for everyone, unlike the vast array of varied rules and regs for controlled assessment from each of the boards.

Laugh .... it makes you want to cry!
Stuart
FRGS, FGS, C.Geog.
Head of Geography

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 12:41:33 PM »
Hi

If you did not make it to the GA Conference this year (neither did I)..... there is lots of guidance from Martin Weeden via this link http://www.geography.org.uk/cpdevents/annualconference/derby2010/#W42 with specific detail here http://www.geography.org.uk/download/GA_Conf10WeedenMartin.pdf

Bit odd - he makes ref to taking quotes from AQA B and the gives the CA task description for AQA A only (bottom pg 3).

I also fundamentally disagree with his assumptions at the top of pg. 4:

QCA generic regulations state that:’ For specifications with a weighting of 25% controlled assessment, there must be just one controlled assessment unit/component, which is moderated and awarded as a single entity’. QCA provide the following definitions of the various terms that are involved.
* Unit: The smallest part of a qualification that is formally reported and can be separately certificated. A unit may contain separately assessed components.
* Component: A discrete and assessable element within a controlled assessment or qualification that is not itself formally reported, where the awarding body records the marks.
* Task: A discrete element of external or controlled assessment that may include examinations, assignments, practical activities and projects.

Within these definitions, it is unclear how two of the Exam Boards are able to provide for two separate tasks that are separately marked. The specifications, however, been approved.

Yes, the've been approved because of the plurals in the bits he's quoted from QCA. I mean, come on, it's not that hard to figure it out...

There was, afaik, always the intention for CA to be possibly more than one task from the outset - I'm almost certain QCA made that absolutely clear in their briefings to exam boards on this.

So, I'd just take this document with a wee bit of care - I'll read the rest of it before I come to any other conclusions, but I'd worry about other flaws given this...

(sorry folks, bit cross about this - would have expected better. It wouldn't have taken 5 minutes to whack some e-mails off to ask about it either...)
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday

Blue Square Thing

• What's blue and square?
    • View Profile
    • That Blue Square Thing
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 12:47:59 PM »
Further crossness:

Written feedback

Although oral feedback is permitted under certain conditions, written feedback is not permitted under any level of control. One Exam Board (AQA) states that ‘You cannot give written feedback on draft work or provide writing frames’. Another (OCR) is clear that ‘Teachers must not provide templates, model answers or written feedback on drafts’.

It is possible to examine this wording carefully to ensure that the regulations are entirely clear. It could be, for example, that written feedback could be provided on a separate sheet that is not ‘on’ the draft work. An email could also be sent to a student as written feedback, perhaps commenting on a document that a student had sent as an email attachment.

Just NO.

Honestly - that's appalling.
I loved the words you wrote to me/But that was bloody yesterday